Which Alita Should I Get??

GreenGo

I've just finalized the plans for two new racks containing enclosures of various sizes. Here's the brief specs:
  • enclosures 6" tall with between 1 and 5" of water in most.
  • 55 enclosures per rack, 2 racks will be added to the Crab Room at some point (leaving barely enough room for most, if not all [I'll have to walk it to make sure] of my current aquariums.)
  • Some enclosures will have 2 air outlets in them, some only one, a few might have upwards of 3 or 4. You can average 2 air outlets per enclosure to make this entire process easier.
This means the Alita needs to be able to handle upwards of 220 air outlets (though no less than 100) at between 1 and 5" water depth. Any suggestions?

P.S., I figure any extra available outlets from the average taken should enable me to use airline in any of the tanks I have currently (mostly looking at standard 10g / 20L tanks, so 8 to 12" height, save for one 29g that may or may not have an airline in it) that will still be set up in the Crab Room after these are moved in / built.

Last edited:

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Alita AL-60 is what i use.
Ive got it running 2 rooms of tanks. Cant remember how many air valves it has plumbed into the PVC. I assume by air outlet you mean air flow valves. 220 is a lot. Lol .I get my air valves at jehmco.

GreenGo

Alita AL-60 is what i use.
Ive got it running 2 rooms of tanks. Cant remember how many air valves it has plumbed into the PVC. I assume by air outlet you mean air flow valves. 220 is a lot. Lol .I get my air valves at jehmco.
By air outlet I mean individual airlines in an enclosure / tank. I thought there was / is a minimum size or number of air valves / tanks you have to run for each model based on the back pressure created. Too little and the pump runs at sub-optimal capacity (really trying to make this understandable lol), but too much and the pump can't handle the output or back pressure created.

The air flow valves will likely be less since I'm probably going to have inline air splitting manifolds to divvy up the airline to better distribute the air between each enclosure so I don't have to tap the PVC pipe every few inches.

GreenGo

Too little and the pump runs at sub-optimal capacity (really trying to make this understandable lol), but too much and the pump can't handle the output or back pressure created.
What I was trying to describe was the pump running "heavy" with too little tanks, which leads to the pump running hot and the back pressure being inadequate. Too many tanks and the pump can't handle that much back pressure so it still wears out faster than what it should.

@Poppa Ryno from your experience (anyone else is also free to comment on this, as per usual) is this accurate? How much is the AL-60 rated for? I figure I'm going to have to look this stuff up after I get them built (one step at a time, though I could as soon as I start building them), but anything to make it easier / simpler for me to understand is appreciated. :) I'm going to try to figure out how much each rack will cost me now.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
What I was trying to describe was the pump running "heavy" with too little tanks, which leads to the pump running hot and the back pressure being inadequate. Too many tanks and the pump can't handle that much back pressure so it still wears out faster than what it should.

@Poppa Ryno from your experience (anyone else is also free to comment on this, as per usual) is this accurate? How much is the AL-60 rated for? I figure I'm going to have to look this stuff up after I get them built (one step at a time, though I could as soon as I start building them), but anything to make it easier / simpler for me to understand is appreciated. :) I'm going to try to figure out how much each rack will cost me now.
30-60,000 gallons i think. Maybe less but not more.

GreenGo

30-60,000 gallons i think. Maybe less but not more.
:whistle: 60k gallons may last me.. what, a few years if things go exceptionally well. :ROFLMAO: And I know it'll be pumping at least 30gs. I'll look at pricing probably next week. So far I'm ballparking about $1,000 for one rack from what I've looked at so far. :cautious: At least it'll last for years and give me a decent profit. :whistle: :sneaky:

GreenGo

Quick question for @Tmrc exotics and @Brookster123 - would you two suggest staining directly above a part of the rack that will be waterproofed to hold a bit of water? I want it to look nice, but not sure about stain so close to where it'll hold just a bit of water.

GreenGo

Not sure gg, I personally would not use anything besides mineral oil where water could potentially condensate and return to tank. Below anything is fine.
Sweet, thanks for the advice! I never thought of mineral oil, but I'll likely do that :D

GreenGo

Okay, I'm looking to get the air system installed by the end of next month. I also have one other project I'll have to do by then as well.

I wanted to include this diagram from the Alita website should anyone else have need of it -
https://ibb.co/m6D2mn (for some reason I can't use the photo attachment system on the quick post interface, so if it doesn't automatically embed it I'll need a mod to do that for us, as this is more for y'all's reference than for myself)

GreenGo

@Poppa Ryno Would you get a refurbished one if you needed another, or would you stick to a new AL-60?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
New.

GreenGo

Okay, the News have it. It's only a $5 difference anyhow, and it is from the company that sales them. Thanks, Ryan!

discusbreeder

A very simple suggestion; gret the largest pump you can afford. Reason: you can always bleed off excess air and a larger pump leaves room for expansions or redesign. If your pump is barely large enough then you will have to buy again to facilitate changes. Now you have two pumps and one is useless until you expand again and does not even serve as a backup because it does not have the capacity.

Larry

GreenGo

@Poppa Ryno - Is there an alternative to the twist drill bit #14 (item DRILL14SM) on the Jehmco website? Using the air valve you used for your system (posted on a different thread, it's AV1E), it recommends using their #14 drill bit, but I would like to know if there's a common drill bit from a kit that could work as well. So, did you buy their drill bit, or did you use one you already had? If it was one you already had, what did you use? If I can, I'd like to find something similar that might already be in my possession.

GreenGo

Also, any tips or recommendations as to how many taps I'll need to drill into the PVC pipe for the AV1E air valves would be appreciated. I don't know if there's a general rule of thumb for this type of thing or not, or if it's solely based on what your preferred style or specific needs are. I'd prefer a general rule of thumb :LOL: but I can also figure it out myself.

With me, things change, are modified, and my overall Crab Room develops as I figure out new and better ways of keeping / housing my animals, but it also changes with how many containers I can stuff into my current (and future :ROFLMAO: ) small space. Hence, what I need now, or my current preferred style, may be vastly different in the future, and this is why I'd much rather prefer a general rule of thumb that I can then use gang valves or some such to achieve the desired or required number of airline outlets for whatever stage my Crab Room happens to be at in that time period.