What is this filter???

Aquaphobia

Saw an ad last night for some free aquarium stuff. Couldn't really tell from the pictures what there was but just in case I said I'd take it anyway. Drove a fair ways to get it and boy was I excited when I saw the pile! For one thing there was an Aquaclear 110. I'd wanted another one but money's a little tight right now and I didn't want to spend it. The lid was broken but that's ok because the last time I bought a used 110 it came with a whole box full of spare parts.

But that's not why I'm here.

Among many other things, there is this HOB filter that appears to have a built-in skimmer that opens into its own tray on the top! What the heck is it?

While there is a slot for a cartridge, the one that was in it can't be the right one because it doesn't allow the upper tray to fit.

Mcasella

Any numbers or markers on the bottom of it? that way you can try to find what it is (I picked up another aquaclear 110 with a 46 bow front i got, everything that came with it was just fantastic as well).

Aquaphobia

Nothing at all, not even on the pump. I haven't yet tried removing the pump to see if there are any hidden marks. I find it especially surprising given that this unit seems to be specialized for its task!