What do my platies have?

AquariumLyfe

Hi there,

I noticed a few of my platies have what looks like a bloody dorsal fin. I haven't had the chance to take a picture, but here is something that looks exactly the same (from Google).

Also, mine do have red-gills as well. I was reading that the primarily cause for that is due to ammonia poisoning, however my amomnia levels are in perfect conditions. I haven't had any slight of ammonia spikes either, so I'm wondering if platties are just sensitive or maybe it caught the poisoning at the pet store?

coralbandit

IMO all that is coloring..The dorsal I would say 99%.
The gills look very similar to many of the angels I have that have I believe "blushing" qualities ?
If you don't note the gill being open or heavier then usual breathing I would not worry too much. Just keep a good eye and see if it progresses or stays the same.

Last edited:

AquariumLyfe

IMLO all that is coloring..The dorsal I would say 99%.
The gills look very similar to many of the angels I have that have I believe "blushing" qualities ?
If you don't note the gill being open or heavier then usual breathing I would not worry too much. Just keep a good eye and see if it progresses or stays the same.
Thanks for the quick response. Fish look pretty healthy outside of that, they're active, eating, breathing normal, and normal swimming patterns. I was just concerned cause the dorsal fins did look "blood shot" but no open wounds from what I can see.. I noticed this about 2 weeks ago, I was just keeping an eye on it so I figured I'd make a post about it.

coralbandit

My platies are the same with color coming in slowly.
The gill thing as I believe is harmless if it is the blushing factor ,but still like you always trying to keep a good eye on my fish I don't find it very appealing at all.
Many of my angels have this ,which honestly is part of my not being so thrilled with them...

LadyMac

PRA All Star
Probably was not there when you got them because they were stressed and/ or fed less quality food. Akin to feeding a dog Ole Roy and upping them to Earthborn, and noticing softer and shinier fur. Look at your food and see if it has any color enhancing qualities. Many many foods will have that and it brings out the red more than anything.

discusbreeder

@Diego Bedoya

I would concur with Tom. Your fish looks perfectly healthy. Septicemia, which causes redness in the body looks different and does not move up the fins. The disease that causes red streaks in the fins, not a red fin, is fatal in all cases and contagious. Infected fish should be removed and destroyed immediately. The red in the body of the fish pictured is neither of these and once you ever see them you will know immediately next time you see them. The gills are not flared and the fish is not discolored or looking stressed so I would say everything is roses.

Larry