Water garden

Finntastic

So I just realized that this forum was here so I was like "why not" I have a water garden that my father and I built last year, it's about 1200g and is stocked with bluegill, goldies, and mosquito fish. Im planning on breeding live bearers in it to make a little more money over the summer.

Lots of live plants are in and around the pond such as cattails, water lilies, water hyacinth, water lettuce, Golden monkey flower, iris, canna Lily, and a few others.

Nils

Sounds awesome, any pics?
Guppies in there or some larger mollies/swordtails would be pretty cool, not sure how they'd be with blue gill though.

Finntastic

Sounds awesome, any pics?
Guppies in there or some larger mollies/swordtails would be pretty cool, not sure how they'd be with blue gill though.
Adults will survive but some babies won't. The bluegill keep the population in check. Last year we had 7 bluegill and by the end of the year there were hundreds of mosquito fish. This year we have only a few bluegill.

I will get pics once it stops raining.

Nils

Looks really good!
Ponds are really cool.....
Nice chicken in the background as well (y)

FishFlow

Got any more details? Looks awesome!! amazing how *small* 1200 gallons look!!

Can you list what equipment your using? (filter/pumps/skimmer?/ any other big *ticket* items?
What's the footprint? what's the deepest the pond is?

Any notable problems / resolutions since it's been running?

Finntastic

Got any more details? Looks awesome!! amazing how *small* 1200 gallons look!!

Can you list what equipment your using? (filter/pumps/skimmer?/ any other big *ticket* items?
What's the footprint? what's the deepest the pond is?

Any notable problems / resolutions since it's been running?
It has a 2ft deep channel running down the side with a small one foot section on either side and there is a 3ft deep hole by the water fall that is about 2.5 feet wide all around.

We have a pond skimmer box (not sure what kind) along with a pump amd waterfall box. I will tell you what kind once I can find the boxes or whatever they came in if not I'll look it up.

It is its own ecosystem and supports itself. We haven't put food in the pond in almost a year and the fish are fat and happy. We collected rocks up in the mountains (2 truckloads) instead of buying our own and used a type of expanding foam to hold the rocks together around the waterfall while the rest are just laid on top of one another.
This build cost us under $1000 and it looks just as good as a professional pond builder would have made it.

We have had a few issues with algae and one hole but those were/are quickly fixed. Apart from the occasional rock falling in nothing else has gone wrong.

Finntastic

So I saw some of the sunfish today and realized: A) they aren't bluegill B) they are very fat C) there are very few left. The first one I saw was about 7" and fat and had some red and orange gill spots, the second one I just got a glimpse of it as it struck a mosquito fish and the third one was about 6", fat and was a greenish color

Finntastic

Added an anubias to the waterfall out ov curiosity to see how it would do. So far so good. I saw a pretty small bluegill today, only about 3" and another 6"

Finntastic

I spent some of my day taking pics around my watergarden and here are few of them. I tried to get a pic of the sunfish but the glare was pretty bad. I also tried to get a pic of little tiny baby mosquito fish but they turned out to be camera shy. The baby praying mantis in several of my pics was moved around a lot and I named him/her Joe CM160603-130455001.jpg CM160521-155617001.jpg CM160603-125442001.jpg CM160603-125149001.jpg CM160603-125036001.jpg

Nils

Looks nice! I like those flowers a lot, plus the praying mantis are always fun to see!

GreenGo

I remember a story I heard about a lady having a wild "pet" praying mantis that followed her around whenever she was doing the laundry in the back yard. Until she accidentally stepped on the poor bug, that is :( Maybe Joe will be similar, just hanging out near your pond saying hello whenever you visit :D

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Beautiful pics.

Finntastic

I remember a story I heard about a lady having a wild "pet" praying mantis that followed her around whenever she was doing the laundry in the back yard. Until she accidentally stepped on the poor bug, that is :( Maybe Joe will be similar, just hanging out near your pond saying hello whenever you visit :D
That stinks. I think Joe did like me though, he kept jumping into me and would refuse to get off of me. He was quite content with sitting on my hand