The Wet Spot

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
I'm sure it comes as no surprise to most that The Wet Spot has given me yet another great, healthy order of rare, wild caught fish. ;)

This week it's Parosphromenus opallios and Pangio semicincta. They are going in my borneo biotope tank, which houses my wild bettas and a handful of Boraras maculatus. As usual the fish are well-packed and arrived on-time.

Discusluv

Congrats June. Once get in tank would like to see them better. I see the beautiful colors of the fish, but little else with my bad eyesight :)

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Well the loaches didn't drop color, but the gouramis did. LOL. Little dudes should color up nicely once they get used to living in blackwater again. Apparently when dealing with these types of fish the store acclimates them up to 7.8 (they claim it reduces loss during acclimation and QT) so I'll have to drip them back down to the 5.5 or so my biotope tank is at.

I will be taking LOTS of photos of them haha. Just cross your fingers and hope that the Betta enisae don't feel the need to find out if the loaches are giant blackworms or not :ROFLMAO:

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Congrats Cori. I don't know of anyone with their wide selection of wilds.
They're very good at species ID too. Not so much with gender ID but still, if you're not looking for a sexed pair, they are a great place to get uncommon wild fish.

tunamanphd

they do have a great selection - just hard for me to drop $60 on shipping for a 10 dollar fish - Folks on the west coast probably get a much better shipping rate

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
It was $38+ insurance for overnight shipping to SD.

They do have a minimum order which helps make it worthwhile, but I usually wait until they have a few of several things I want/need before I place an order, that way I'm not spending more on the shipping than I am on the fish. The licorice gouramis alone made it worthwhile in this case, and since I was waiting for them to get pangio loaches in anyway, I figured why not jump on both at the same time? Save myself $43.00 on shipping for the next time I may or may not see the licorices.

tunamanphd

It was $38+ insurance for overnight shipping to SD.

They do have a minimum order which helps make it worthwhile, but I usually wait until they have a few of several things I want/need before I place an order, that way I'm not spending more on the shipping than I am on the fish. The licorice gouramis alone made it worthwhile in this case, and since I was waiting for them to get pangio loaches in anyway, I figured why not jump on both at the same time? Save myself $43.00 on shipping for the next time I may or may not see the licorices.
38 is great - See west coast :). I did have a customer on the west coast want Endlers this winter - He paid 50 for express :eek: But he got some nice fish:giggle: I felt a little guilty charging so much for shipping(But it was what it cost me) so I gave him a few extras

OnTheFly

they do have a great selection - just hard for me to drop $60 on shipping for a 10 dollar fish - Folks on the west coast probably get a much better shipping rate
They have an awesome rep but it's the only reason I will likely never order from them. Some limit to how much shipping I can justify for my $50 fish orders.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
@OnTheFly during the spring and summer, when it warms up in OR, they do two day shipping for the hardier species. I just have never ordered any "hardy" species from them :ROFLMAO: so I usually end up forking out some bucks. It's a little less than paying import fees and transshipping if I were to import the fish myself though, so since I do both I guess I'm less sensitive to the cost of overnight shipping.

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
None of the wild importers seem to like to make pairs. The guys in Africa and South America certainly don't, so when they order a bag of 300, who knows what the ratio will be? Buying six to get a pair can be expensive, but sometimes it's the only way to get rarities It's like you share the risk with the importer.

I used to sell a lot of rare livebearers within Canada, and I shut down because the shipping costs were making people get nasty. At one point I calculated that more of the money being sent to me went to the shipper than it did to me. A box I could sent to central Canada for $12 would cost $45 to the west coast.

OnTheFly

@OnTheFly during the spring and summer, when it warms up in OR, they do two day shipping for the hardier species. I just have never ordered any "hardy" species from them :ROFLMAO: so I usually end up forking out some bucks. It's a little less than paying import fees and transshipping if I were to import the fish myself though, so since I do both I guess I'm less sensitive to the cost of overnight shipping.
I am out of range for guaranteed two day shipping from CA.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
None of the wild importers seem to like to make pairs. The guys in Africa and South America certainly don't, so when they order a bag of 300, who knows what the ratio will be? Buying six to get a pair can be expensive, but sometimes it's the only way to get rarities It's like you share the risk with the importer.

I used to sell a lot of rare livebearers within Canada, and I shut down because the shipping costs were making people get nasty. At one point I calculated that more of the money being sent to me went to the shipper than it did to me. A box I could sent to central Canada for $12 would cost $45 to the west coast.
I bought 6 licorice gouramis to get a pair.... LOL. Also they seem fairly social, and I definitely won't mind watching their antics once they're in the tank and established.

@OnTheFly, they never guarantee 2 day orders. But they do buy insurance you can claim with the carrier. However their packing practice has resulted in me never getting a DOA from them and I've received probably 30 fish from them over the past few years. If it helps any. *shrug*.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
@Discusluv

Not that these are much better. LOL. But you can see the pangio colors better. The licorice gouramis are still pale, but they turned bright yellow pale instead of white pale when I put them in the tank. We'll see how things go over the next few days. However, when I put them in, the bettas didn't immediately come rushing up to eat them, and it turns out that the tiny one is about the size of the smallest rasbora, so I'm no longer worried about them getting gobbled.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pics, but the licorices colored up quite a bit pretty much immediately upon entering the tank so I figured I'd take a few terrible pics. LOL. Camera is having issues focusing with the cloudy water (thank you to my sand) and the odd light temp on it right now.

They are amazing little fish. Already more personable than the bettas ;)

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Just checked on them one more time before bed. I saw three or four licorice gouramis and 2 loaches. So I assume everyone is doing just fine in there.

Really excited to see how they color up over the next few days but either way, still a great buy from a great store ;)