The Planted Pond

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Hubby and I have a pond. I've been meaning to get pictures of it, and finally did today. Can't wait until spring when the dragonflies return!

Just comet goldies and assorted gambusia in there right now. We're thinking of adding some loaches, and I will probably move some Japanese trapdoor snails in there for algae control when mine are a little bigger.

@Joe Bilotta maybe you have some recommendations on how to get all the algae and sludge out? We're not going to be able to drain it, and any treatments would need to be fish safe.

Joe Bilotta

Hubby and I have a pond. I've been meaning to get pictures of it, and finally did today. Can't wait until spring when the dragonflies return!

Just comet goldies and assorted gambusia in there right now. We're thinking of adding some loaches, and I will probably move some Japanese trapdoor snails in there for algae control when mine are a little bigger.

@Joe Bilotta maybe you have some recommendations on how to get all the algae and sludge out? We're not going to be able to drain it, and any treatments would need to be fish safe.
Any aeration going?

The plants should out compete the algae looks like you have enough to me

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Any aeration going?

The plants should out compete the algae looks like you have enough to me
Somehow I just saw this.

The bulk of the pond is full sun most of the day. The only aeration is from the waterfall, but it's quite a bit of aeration.

I'm going to put some japanese trapdoor snails in the pond soon because they are breeding in my tanks, and might put in a pleco that can take the occasional cold, or some other algae eating fish, but that isn't going to put much of a dent in the hair algae.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Oh, I missed this. Have and specs on the pond setup? I so wish/want to put a big ole hole in my backyard..
The pump is sumberged in a compartment on the opposite end from the waterfall. We debate over total gallonage LOL. Hubby thinks it's 800, I think it's more like 650. We'll never know because the turtles have knocked a bunch of rocks into it, making the bottom uneven. It really should have been redug, but he wasn't interested.

Mcasella

What is you temp range (how cold does it get in your winter)? Those are snakeplants and lilies, which don't do well frozen (or is this a last year pic?)
How many goldies do you have?

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
What is you temp range (how cold does it get in your winter)? Those are snakeplants and lilies, which don't do well frozen (or is this a last year pic?)
How many goldies do you have?
The pond doesn't freeze. I live in Socal. It's been set up this way for years, no issues. We have snakeskin plants all over outside, not just on the pond.

There were 6 goldies. The smallest one (my favorite :cry: ) was stolen by a raccoon or something at some point, poor thing. We're down to 5 and they are all getting big.

Mcasella

Right, I am lucky If i don't get more than four inches on the pond I have even with a deicer in it.
Herons, snakes, the turtles, and even cats are also possibilities as far as predators that will take advantages of gullible goldies. I am not a fan of raccons or oppossums as far as them being around where my animals are (I have lost several innocent chicks to them as well as one of my hens carried off by a hawk).

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Right, I am lucky If i don't get more than four inches on the pond I have even with a deicer in it.
Herons, snakes, the turtles, and even cats are also possibilities as far as predators that will take advantages of gullible goldies. I am not a fan of raccons or oppossums as far as them being around where my animals are (I have lost several innocent chicks to them as well as one of my hens carried off by a hawk).
You should think about keeping the goldies in a tank until they're 5". Before that, they're at much bigger risk of being stolen by animals. Also, pond mesh is a thing if it's a problem in your area.

Mcasella

You should think about keeping the goldies in a tank until they're 5". Before that, they're at much bigger risk of being stolen by animals. Also, pond mesh is a thing if it's a problem in your area.
I haven't had any stolen, I had one die from the cold right after the first snap and one new one pass - but I luckily haven't attracted even frogs to my pond (I did accidentally drown a bird because it came in for a drink during a storm and somehow didn't see the driftwood to stand on, i'm going with the word got out about the bird killing pond lol).

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
LOL Maybe there was a witness and it told all the other kritters to stay away.

Mcasella

LOL Maybe there was a witness and it told all the other kritters to stay away.
I bet, there stopped chirping when I pulled it out, I put it out of the yard to make sure the dogs wouldn't find and eat it, but haven't had another incident like that but have also made sure my driftwood sticks up a bit so it is less likely to happen.

vikingkirken

Hey @junebug just found this thread! I love your pond! The water lilies must be beautiful when they are blooming. But the wannabe garden designer in me says where are all the plants around the outside of it? That dirt mound by the fence is just crying out for greenery :D

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Hey @junebug just found this thread! I love your pond! The water lilies must be beautiful when they are blooming. But the wannabe garden designer in me says where are all the plants around the outside of it? That dirt mound by the fence is just crying out for greenery :D
You mean where the calla lilies and alocasia were planted before the turtles decided to murder everything? That mound? LOL.

There were more plants. The red-eared sliders decided randomly last fall that they weren't having it anymore.