The Altums

Discusluv

Here is my Im done with Altums story.

Ive been looking for over 3 months for wild Altums. Couldn't find any. Finally ordered tank-raised last week with angefishusa. When I ordered online was prompted with "When would you like shipment and delivery?" I put shipment Thursday for Friday the 15th delivery and paid the exorbitant shipping required for overnight delivery through UPS.

I then looked on the order confirmation to make sure delivery details were correct. Yes, correct. I then emailed the company back after getting confirmation. I put "Please notice delivery information. If unable to fill order as requested please get back to me ASAP". No response. No news is good news, so I thought.

Yesterday ( day I expect delivery) I waited until noon and then I started sending emails ( no answer) , phone calls, no answer. etc...The owner finally contacted me through a text and said "I'm sorry, you should of been prompted when ordering that this shipment would not go until after the holidays." I immediately responded to him with questions about my order--- silence. ***Let me make this clear, I do understand that it would be better to send the fish after the holidays due to delays and such, but dont tell me its coming earlier and make me sit waiting for them, chasing you down with emails and phone calls, etc...

I sent him another message an hour later and told him I would contact my bank and dispute the over $400.00 in charges for fish. Silence. I guess that is chump change to him.

A few hours later sent message he would refund my purchase. Im done--- I hate Altums. Ill get discus instead.

Discusluv

Geez that's garbage.. I wish I had known.. i would have said forget the monsters and get some frisbees:p
Lol! Im going to get more frisbees, actually. Instead of the Altums Ill just add 3 more manacupuru reds ( or some other wild discus) from John that Im getting next week. I think they will do fine in the tank with the geophagus sveni.

Andy Sager

This might actually have been a blessing in disguise. Could it have been handled better? Absolutely!! However, in my book :whistle:, anyone trying to get livestock shipped during the Christmas shipping rush is taking a huge chance and I don't recommend it. Our entire warehouse would shut down the last 2 weeks of the year just because of the uncertainty of getting space on desired flights or shipments getting rerouted or bumped at the last minute. Incoming and outgoing both. The one year we didn't, we got screwed!!!! Livestock is such a crazy business.
So where's the blessing? In my experience, Altums are such a questionable fish that I would only buy ones I could see prior to purchasing. It ups your chances of success with them exponentially. It doesn't matter if they were $1.00 or $100.00, look first. See their behavior in the tank, if they are eating, their physical condition. I've always said, when it comes to this fish, let the store take the gamble. They have a better chance of getting healthy ones but ya never now. It's worth the extra money to pay the store in my book. :whistle:

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Try Al Castro. His wilds right now are unbelievable.
Lol! Im going to get more frisbees, actually. Instead of the Altums Ill just add 3 more manacupuru reds ( or some other wild discus) from John that Im getting next week. I think they will do fine in the tank with the geophagus sveni.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
I made a phone call for you @Discusluv.
Wattley has fresh collected Altums in QT. They'll be ready 2nd week of January! If you'd be interested then. But if you get more wilds check out Al Castro

Discusluv

This might actually have been a blessing in disguise. Could it have been handled better? Absolutely!! However, in my book :whistle:, anyone trying to get livestock shipped during the Christmas shipping rush is taking a huge chance and I don't recommend it. Our entire warehouse would shut down the last 2 weeks of the year just because of the uncertainty of getting space on desired flights or shipments getting rerouted or bumped at the last minute. Incoming and outgoing both. The one year we didn't, we got screwed!!!! Livestock is such a crazy business.
So where's the blessing? In my experience, Altums are such a questionable fish that I would only buy ones I could see prior to purchasing. It ups your chances of success with them exponentially. It doesn't matter if they were $1.00 or $100.00, look first. See their behavior in the tank, if they are eating, their physical condition. I've always said, when it comes to this fish, let the store take the gamble. They have a better chance of getting healthy ones but ya never now. It's worth the extra money to pay the store in my book. :whistle:
I have never seen Altums locally, nor do I think I ever will.

Discusluv

I made a phone call for you @Discusluv.
Wattley has fresh collected Altums in QT. They'll be ready 2nd week of January! If you'd be interested then. But if you get more wilds check out Al Castro
Oh! I looked at those, but it didn't appear that they shipped to California. When I tried to add to my shopping cart it kept prompting me that didnt have a shipping option.

Andy Sager

I have never seen Altums locally, nor do I think I ever will.
You can always as them to order them. Good stores have the ability ( not the chains). But just remember, it's a seasonal fish so not available all year long. (y)

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Oh! I looked at those, but it didn't appear that they shipped to California. When I tried to add to my shopping cart it kept prompting me that didnt have a shipping option.
If your still interested when they're out of QT call them. Gabe is the owner now as Jack is retired in full. Talk directly to gabe. Tell him Ryan in Kansas sent you!

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Al Castro? From Simply? Just put his name in search engine or does he have a storefront?
He's in California too. Might be able to pick them up if hes close. Ill get his info for you.

Discusluv

If your still interested when they're out of QT call them. Gabe is the owner now as Jack is retired in full. Talk directly to gabe. Tell him Ryan in Kansas sent you!
Okay. My excitement about them has kinda been ruined by all this experience. I may just go the wild discus route instead.