Terra Cotta Pot Caves?

Katie13

My German Blue Rams just spawned for the first time! I'll be setting up a breeding tank for them soon. I'm thinking about using terra cotta pot caves. What size should I use? Plastic Terra Cotta pots? Do the real ones need any sort of coating?

Last edited:

MattS99

Myself, I've heard 4" mentioned a lot for GBRs. So out of those options, I'd do the 6". But I have no experience breeding GBRs so you might want someone else's input :)

Katie13

Myself, I've heard 4" mentioned a lot for GBRs. So out of those options, I'd do the 6". But I have no experience breeding GBRs so you might want someone else's input :)
I'll have to look at them in person to decide. I don't see a 4" at the moment.

JeffK

I could be wrong, but I didn't think GBRs were cave spawners? I thought they were more into laying / guarding a flat rock type of setup?

Katie13

I could be wrong, but I didn't think GBRs were cave spawners? I thought they were more into laying / guarding a flat rock type of setup?
They aren’t, the terra cotta pot would be more for hiding caves, but they also give them a smooth area to lay their eggs.

DarkOne

Home Depot has 4" pots for under a buck. I also found 2" and 2" tall pots at Michael's (hobby store). The 2" tall pots are about 4" tall so decent for pleco caves.