Summer Tubbin' 2018

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Lol, totally posted in the 2017 thread... would love to do this when it’s warm enough here in nj... but... how do I keep the deer from drinking from it?!?!?!
Tub ponds gotta be covered with mesh if pests are a problem. Mine are raccoons. LOL.

So after some not so careful considerations. I have decided I will be putting my 34g Hexagon tank outside for the summer. I bought it used and don't trust it is 100% leak proof. Im thinking of a trio of platys. Ill be saving all my clippings from now on to just dump into it. I also have an old wooden stand I built I can put it on. Im excited.

OnTheFly

So after some not so careful considerations. I have decided I will be putting my 34g Hexagon tank outside for the summer. I bought it used and don't trust it is 100% leak proof. Im thinking of a trio of platys. Ill be saving all my clippings from now on to just dump into it. I also have an old wooden stand I built I can put it on. Im excited.
That will work. If it starts giving you trouble you can bail and get a 10$ tub from Lowes. So go for it. No real risk IMO.

OnTheFly

Summer is never coming :(
So... by lid... like a lid lid?
Netting should help some with my raccoons, Fox, birds, etc... but I feel like the deer will just plow through it... not looking to set up a local watering hole ;)

Nice pond @OnTheFly !
You may be confusing a hole in the ground for a pond lol. I'll probably grab an insert rather than a liner.

Poppa will begin to set his outdoor system up any time now. He's got it all ready to go. The fish he's kept inside all winter will be happy to get out again.

vikingkirken

Here we gooo!!

While I work up the time and energy to dig out my 100+ gallon pond, I threw up a 26g Rubbermaid bin for swordtail fry and an 11g tub trug for some kind of live culture. I added some old beet leaves to the 11g to get some green water going, for starters. I'd love to have daphnia in there, but have to see what I can find around me. I will be picking up water hyacinth plants at the next club meeting. From past experience, I know those will multiply like crazy; my 4 starter plants will be plenty for the fry tub and the pond in no time.

How high do y'all think nighttime temps need to be before I put a swordtail female or two, or some fry, in the 26g?

I'm excited to take some fish fun outdoors :) It's been 20 years since I had a fish pond.

OnTheFly

Here we gooo!!

How high do y'all think nighttime temps need to be before I put a swordtail female or two, or some fry, in the 26g?

I'm excited to take some fish fun outdoors :) It's been 20 years since I had a fish pond.
I've only done this pond thing one year but for what it's worth I did not lose any swords. The same adult females are about to head out for another summer. I would throw a thermometer in the tubs now and check the temp very early in the morning. Early season my tubs hit 60F repeatedly and that made me nervous. That's asking for ich IMO but it never happened. When September came I put tiny heaters in the tubs to take the edge off the cold. A 50W in a 30G and a 100W in a 60G worked well. Set them fairly low though.

vikingkirken

First I have to get hubby to hook up the outside electrical outlets (one unfinished project from our reno). He won't let me touch the electrical, with good reason :p