Summer Tubbin' 2018

OnTheFly

I am submitting to forum peer pressure and starting the 2018 summer tub pond thread now. Thanks Viking :) I know a few of the newer members are planning to tub for the first time this summer. I did it last year for the first time. I highly recommend it. I learned some lessons during my first year but it was successful and I highly recommend it. It is about 6 weeks before I can even dream of taking the hardiest of tropical fish outdoors in Iowa but I guess it isn't too early to share a few thoughts.

You can make tubbing very simple, or as complex if you like. For me, the goal is some outdoor fish raising without making it too hard. I recommend you start slow with the right species for your climate, and willingness to heat a tank or not. Temp swings may or may not be extreme depending on the tub volume, location and your climate. I went through most of the 2017 season with no heat. My 2018 plan is small heaters to extend the season a bit, and keep the tubs from dipping quite as low on cold nights during early and late season. What I am NOT going to do is heat 1000G of water outside during cold temps. That is very expensive in most parts of the country. The temp swings are likely to scare you at first. This is not a discus tank in your fish room or living room. You'll have to get used to temp swings and if you can't I recommend you skip tubbing. That said. you might be surprised at the extremes some species can endure and still breed. I am not doing weekly 50% WCs either. That misses the point for me. I can do that inside and not deal with the ambient temps. I try to not overcrowd my tanks but they ended up that way towards the end of the season.

For the noobs a few considerations are....
-Filtration or not (I use sponge filters and an air pump only)
-Heat or not?
-How are you going to do some WCs in a smaller tub? It will be necessary in a small tub.
-Sun exposure is a big issue mid summer, it will cook a tub in a hot climate
-Species selection is important to match your climate extremes.
-Do you want to add plants to the mix? Certain plants thrive in a tubbin environment.

Anyone else have words of wisdom? Hope I don't sound like I think I am a tubbin expert because I certainly am not after one season. But again, I highly recommend it. It is a LOT of fun. My fish greatly multiplied and almost zero deaths with very little maintenance.

I'll share my personal 2018 tubbin plans soon. I am going to step it up some this year.

OnTheFly

So, I have (with the help of VK) decided on Rainbow Shiners for my tub. its 150 gallons. (will have TONS and TONS of plants... because, well, its me LOL)
150G is a very nice sized tub. The plants are a great idea. It should be very low maintenance unless the shiners absolutely explode with reproduction.

Subject to change, but here is approximately what I will do.

I would like to put a large tub outdoors in one of my garden spots. Something attractive. I actually dug the whole last year. I was going to get a liner and i began to realize my tropical season would be VERY short because it would be in ground. I may buy a plastic pond insert. I know there will be critters because the hole filled with water during a number of rains last year. I had raccoons, birds and even bull frogs. The frogs were a surprise as I live about 200 yards from a creek on top of a hill. I don't intend to cover it unless it becomes necessary. I really don't know what species I will keep. It will depend some on the size.

There will definitely be some tubs on my three seasons porch. That worked well last year. It is insulated and the season is much longer than outdoors. It is simple to keep temps at 70F with very little use of heaters. I'll keep some tubs in the 30G-60G range on the porch. Nothing huge on the porch. 30G is really the minimum size I prefer. Larger is better. 30G do make decent grow out tubs though. Some of these tubs will definitely be live-bearer grow out tubs. They do well even without heaters.

NightShade

I got my new tub on Sunday, I was just too tired to post LOL (too much working in the yard this weekend, because it was so nice and warm!! :love: But, its about to start snowing in the next hour LMAO) I finally got my tub though :dancingemoji: :D

Also, I was chatting with @Navigator Black who said a couple powerbeads with sponge filters will do just fine, as he has raised these Rainbow Shiners before!!! Saves me money! (y) ;) Yep. Good solution! A huge Thanks to Nav, and OTF for helping me decide my filtration :)

This is not the final spot, we had to move some logs out of what will be it's final spot, (and kill a copperhead baby :eek:) to clear the area for this tub.

Also, the 60 lbs doggie Lana eventually got in the tub with me LOL (with some help from my camera man... my BF ;)) There was still room for him as well, and he is twice my size, at 205 or so LOL!! I am SOOOOO excited to have a big tub!! :D 150 gallons!! Never had a fish "tank" this size LOL! (M.L. is giddy if y'all can't tell haha! Which is why I am posting pics of me in the tub :p) Lana was beating me up with her tail right after this picture...

I also have two smaller 20 gal (or so) sized tubs for live foods, in addition to this pond tub (food for inside fishes), waiting on my 'skeeter larvae to catch up, but they are in buckets and planters without holes at this time. (Our backyard is slightly red-neck-ish :whistle:)

toolman

Pro Recruiter
I got my new tub on Sunday, I was just too tired to post LOL (too much working in the yard this weekend, because it was so nice and warm!! :love: But, its about to start snowing in the next hour LMAO) I finally got my tub though :dancingemoji: :D

Also, I was chatting with @Navigator Black who said a couple powerbeads with sponge filters will do just fine, as he has raised these Rainbow Shiners before!!! Saves me money! (y) ;) Yep. Good solution! A huge Thanks to Nav, and OTF for helping me decide my filtration :)

This is not the final spot, we had to move some logs out of what will be it's final spot, (and kill a copperhead baby :eek:) to clear the area for this tub.

Also, the 60 lbs doggie Lana eventually got in the tub with me LOL (with some help from my camera man... my BF ;)) There was still room for him as well, and he is twice my size, at 205 or so LOL!! I am SOOOOO excited to have a big tub!! :D 150 gallons!! Never had a fish "tank" this size LOL! (M.L. is giddy if y'all can't tell haha! Which is why I am posting pics of me in the tub :p) Lana was beating me up with her tail right after this picture...

I also have two smaller 20 gal (or so) sized tubs for live foods, in addition to this pond tub (food for inside fishes), waiting on my 'skeeter larvae to catch up, but they are in buckets and planters without holes at this time. (Our backyard is slightly red-neck-ish :whistle:)
Slightly red-neck-ish:cautious:, No...full redneck because you didnt even putdown your beer!(y) I'm proud of you:D, cant wait to see how it goes.

OnTheFly

Thanks for sharing that. Sponges will do fine for most any tub project. I Iooked at some garden pond tubs yesterday. I need to decide shortly. I'd love to sink one in the ground for looks, but I know that is going to cool the tank off too much if I don't get it right.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
I am putting my hand into the Summer Tubb'en of 2018!!! Thanks a bunch to Chat !! For inspiring me! :D

I present.. Boat Pond ! Going to re purpose this old boat into a pond.

All of those aquariums sitting there, empty, make me sad. :cry: why are they empty, WHY???

FishFlow

Haha. excellent eye. Those look like the dual 40's, and probably my 1st 29. (Pic is 5 years old) Each of the 40's started leaking in time, the 29 was tossed out recently (for the new 29) I really need to learn how to reseal a tank. :D

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Haha. excellent eye. Those look like the dual 40's, and probably my 1st 29. (Pic is 5 years old) Each of the 40's started leaking in time, the 29 was tossed out recently (for the new 29) I really need to learn how to reseal a tank. :D
If I can reseal a tank, anyone can. It's easy. Latex gloves (for safety) and a razorblade and you're in business. Just scrape off the old silicone and put on new. Smooth with finger, trim off excess.