Summer Breeding Season Is Over-It was Here!!!!!

Henningc

Well I started a new thread so nobody has to fish through a to of responses.

Update: We the summer season started with problem after problem. First, there was a shipping issue with brood stock and my supplier had to replace most of them-took two weeks. After getting the new brood stock in and stabilized, We had a unseasonably cold snap-50 f high temps so nothing that wasn't stocked could move outdoors. Additionally, my brooder group of Redtail Black Variatus that were outside were almost whipped out due to a heat failure-My fault setting things up in too much a hurry. Add the daughter in law weed wacking giant holes in two pools a week later and thus losing all my Pineapple Sword fry, we are now 5 weeks behind schedule.

The situation being as stated above, I seriously considered hanging it up for the year, but with a built-in excuse how could I fail! As it turns out a few unexpected lines of fish saved the day and others were just crazy good. After starting over on the Pineapple Swords they ever really produced very well. The few Koi Swords I had, a trio, went breeding crazy, and produced about 150 nice fish. I started with a group of 14 females but the late cold snap took care of that. Oh what could have been!!!!! My late arrivals, in July, the Marigold Wag Swords just were breeding machines. Between July and September I got well over 300 excellent fry that grew fast and had unreal great color. The Creamsicle and other Sailfin Mollys produced as expected. We ended up with about 800 fish from a group of 12 female brooders. The Chilli Endlers did not produce as well as I would have liked-Daughter-in-law fatality. I did end up with about 900. The Yellow Jacket Endlers went fairly well and I got about 75 fry after a re-start in mid July with very young brooders. Blond Endlers didn't really start producing until August but managed a meager 75 fish. Least Killies were in just about every pool and vat and we ended with about 200. Last but not least the Blue Alleni finally did their thing and produced about 150 young.

Next update: Things that worked, New knowledge and Don't do this!

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
great update! Sorry you had so many hiccups. How did the corys you got from me do or did you lose them in thr cold snap?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Agreed with @Brenna great update.
Cant wait for the dont do this update. Lol. Thats right up my alley.

coralbandit

I always enjoy and learn following along your outdoor activities...
I would love to see the fish room now....
Those variatus sure looked good.

Henningc

The corys did fine. I ended up with about 20 more tha I put in. Actually as I was harvesting fish-My fish farmer phrase-they just went in buckets with what ever was in the container. After your post I counted them and sure enough there were more. The young guys are huge and that is why I didn't notice right away. They are spawning in two tanks at the moment.

Here are some photos from summer fish:

Attachments

TigerTerror

Staff member
Well I started a new thread so nobody has to fish through a to of responses.

Update: We the summer season started with problem after problem. First, there was a shipping issue with brood stock and my supplier had to replace most of them-took two weeks. After getting the new brood stock in and stabilized, We had a unseasonably cold snap-50 f high temps so nothing that wasn't stocked could move outdoors. Additionally, my brooder group of Redtail Black Variatus that were outside were almost whipped out due to a heat failure-My fault setting things up in too much a hurry. Add the daughter in law weed wacking giant holes in two pools a week later and thus losing all my Pineapple Sword fry, we are now 5 weeks behind schedule.

The situation being as stated above, I seriously considered hanging it up for the year, but with a built-in excuse how could I fail! As it turns out a few unexpected lines of fish saved the day and others were just crazy good. After starting over on the Pineapple Swords they ever really produced very well. The few Koi Swords I had, a trio, went breeding crazy, and produced about 150 nice fish. I started with a group of 14 females but the late cold snap took care of that. Oh what could have been!!!!! My late arrivals, in July, the Marigold Wag Swords just were breeding machines. Between July and September I got well over 300 excellent fry that grew fast and had unreal great color. The Creamsicle and other Sailfin Mollys produced as expected. We ended up with about 800 fish from a group of 12 female brooders. The Chilli Endlers did not produce as well as I would have liked-Daughter-in-law fatality. I did end up with about 900. The Yellow Jacket Endlers went fairly well and I got about 75 fry after a re-start in mid July with very young brooders. Blond Endlers didn't really start producing until August but managed a meager 75 fish. Least Killies were in just about every pool and vat and we ended with about 200. Last but not least the Blue Alleni finally did their thing and produced about 150 young.

Next update: Things that worked, New knowledge and Don't do this!
Awesome update(y)

Henningc

OK, a little helpful advice o things that worked and things that didn't.

What worked were 2"-4" daily water changes daily on kiddie pools and 2" water changes in vats every 2-3 days. This combo is used for water changes and temp control. I have cold well water and beleive or not the fish school up and try to swim up stream even with the temp difference. Another thing I added this year was feeding golde pearls to fry and adults. Fry 100-200 micro, adults 300-500 micron. The brooders got golden pears, then a flake food topper in the a.m. and decap shrimp eggs and flake topper in the evening. Any extra feedings were golden pears. The fish had explosive growth rates-I beleive this what bailed me out of my miserable start. In the early spring, I switched up to feed a small portion of Ken's Boost before golden pearls in the morning. The immuno boost kept everyone more robust and seeing that is doesn't taste too good-I can tell by the fish's reactions-they are more hungry after the teaser of Boost. Coffee ca bio-filters work excellently, but-see below. In certain vats I got my hands in the water as much as possible on purpose. I was trying to find out if the fish would get so used to it they were easier to net. Mollys and swords didn't, Endlers, platys and crayfish could have cared less. I'm planing to work on this next year. Crayfish & Snails - I used pond and ramshorn snails in every container large ad small. I found I can raise enough snails in containers without crayfish to feed a good handful to crayfish every 2 days Crayfish, if you just want them as a clean up crew also eat dragonfly nymphs. They love them and it provides a calcium, protien fueled growth situation. The remaining snail shell fragments also provide a calcium leaching substrate that works well. Next, I replace rubber bands with zipties to hold the window screening on the intake end of the siphones. Rubber bands break at bad times and zipties lasted all summer. Seeding the containers in spring is a trick that took several years to perfect. First if you leave things set up all year then you need to get the leaves out when you're outside in cold weather and you have to net them all off the bottom weeks prior to adding fish. I tried just a few, tons and everything inbetween. It works best if you clean out the leaves retaining one fist full per 100 gal ad toss them back in. This gives just enough of a bio-layer to allow the cotainer to come back healthy. In spring, after I get the leaf situation under control, I do several 80% water changes using overflow. This helps get the water i shape for conditionig naturally. If you want your pool or vat to look crystal clear your fish production will suffer for it. Expect 1/2 the max reproduction numbers and a frustrating time trying to keep it spiffy.

Things that lived outside all winter!!! Pond and Ramshorn snails will live through the winter without heat or air. Marble crayfish and Least Killies will live yearround as long as the water doesn't freeze solid. For fish and crayfish it helps to have at least 24"of water-more is better-and a place protected from the wind but still able to get some sun. Some types of guppy grass also survived just fine i a 5 gal bucket and Java moss did the same in a differet bucket.

What didn't work and the fix. The coffee can bio-filters worked very well, like a giant sponge filter with twice the power for its size. I did discover that one must weight them down with gravel or as the bacteria produce so much gas they float to the surface on repeated hot days-crazy right!! The other thing is you have to change out the airstone every six weeks or so. A bit of a job but you can really rinse off the filter media, lava rock, and between increased air and less crud you get better performance. Heat Lamps, well the last few years I just found ways to hang them and it was a real hassle. This year and made a take off on the coffee can filters and used two cans filled with sand and PVC to make a crossbar and hung them that way-much better. Problem - when it rains really hard you may lose bulbs because they are white hot and rain drops or splashups are ice cold. Next year I'm, adding a third coffee can and PVC to make a triangle and placing styro-board on top in the middle to protect the bulbs. I doubt this will be perfect but it should make the issue a minor problem. Sun-shelters I used coffee can lids-gee we drink a lot of coffee! -and black styro produce trays. These work well most the year but keep them away from the heat lamps, need I say more? Frogs, tree frogs are the first to arrive and have sworms of tadpoles. I had to net and relocate several thousand to a local pond. I hear they make good fert for the garden but I'll just keep lugging them to the pond. Tree frogs don't bother the fish just my wife with all the singing each night. Toads, less tadpoles, lots of singing, great with fish. Green, leopard and bull frogs are bad news. The will eat fish and fish are not all that bright. Their tadpoles don't cause problems as their numbers are much smaller. I relocated several tens of frogs to the pond. I also found frogs don't do well when you leave them in a bucket with a little water out in the sun and forget them until the next day. My bad!

I'm sure I'll think of more and will add it when It pops in my head. Big, Giant, inductrial size thak you goes to Cara at Carasfancyfins.com. She has worked with me on obtaining brooder stock the last several years and I couldn't have do it with out her. She is tops for all your fish needs.

Henningc

Well if anyone has questions I'm always ready to help. I'd like to see more people try this even if it is just for fish in you're own tanks. Take your 2"-2 1/2" Swordtail or molly outside put them in kiddie pool and wait for fry. When you feel you h ave enough fry remove the adults. Feed 2 x daily and at the end of 3 months the fry will be as large as the parents, if you get all the weeks out of summer you can, here I start in early May and go until late Sept, the fish from the pool will dwarf their parents. 3"-4" and the diameter of a large cigar. I'll have to get a photo.

GreenGo

I'm sooo trying to convince my parents to let me have an outdoor breeding setup this summer. From "the fish will eat all the mosquitos" to sate my dad's concern all the way to "I'll be planting plants in and around them so they don't look like grandpa's place did" (my grandpa had a bunch of cattle feed metal bins full of guppies and other things that made it not-so-pleasant to look at) to sate my mom's concern. Really hoping I can convince them of something! I want BIG, beautiful fish to keep and sell! Well, that and I want prawns to eat, which won't be able to be kept in the fish room :p Just another reason I've brought up why they should allow the outdoor fish garden :D

Man, life sucks sometimes when living with your parents... Got pretty much everything outdoorsy shot down so far (from last year's outdoor tubbing to the bathtub buried below ground), but wish me luck with convincing them this go-around!

coralbandit

If you could have crayfish I'd spot you enough to have a great meal at the end of summer.
:cautious::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Craig do you really eat these things! :whistle::whistle::confused:

GreenGo

If I could have crayfish and Henningc did send me enough to have a great meal at the end of summer, I know my sister would be in cray heaven :LOL: My sister eats them (or so I'm told :cautious: lol), but I've never tried them haha

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
I LOVE ME SOME MUD BUGS.

Henningc

I have but just the tail. Throw them in shrimp boil or garlic buteer bast on the grill. If you do straight Clarkii it is the same meat sold by the farms and stores. I really don't want you to eat them, but a few folks have baught some for that purpose.

Henningc

Working on Red Tail Blue Variatus Brood stock. I'll have to see how they look when I get them in a few weeks. The plan for now is to do them and the Redtail Blacks. Good color offset combo in my opinion.