Summer Breeding Season is here!!!!!

Henningc

OK, this year I'm going to switch things up again. I have a technical issue with the location of my 2 - 6'x6' pools (I call Then P-1's). So I think I am going to try to move them to the location I had the 8'x8' pool last year and try to stuff three of them in the space-didn't use all the space last year. It is not very level, but it should work. I may try to create a space for the 8'x8' (P-3) else where if I can run air to it. Last year I went with 3 - 150gal vats plus 1 -100gal vat that leaked, then it didn't!! This year I'm going with 5 - 150gal vats and the 100gal vat. The vats are great for endlers, guppys, egg layer fry at 1 week of age, inverts shrimp, crayfish, snails. I also developed a hanging fish trap so I can use the vats for platys and swords as well. Small types of mollys will work as well in the vats but not the larger sailfins I raise. I also have a P-2 pool that is 72"x110" pool located under my deck-deck is second story level. The P-2 is 3 years old and has never been broken down. Last summer my daughter in law fell into it and punched a hole in it. We patched it multiple times but it had a slow leak. This winter the weather did the P-2 in and it only retains about 6" depth which isn't enough for summer time high temps. I have not decided to replace it yet. I will say the P-2 pools work great for crayfish, shrimp and least killies. It would be great for Endlers, but in my case the pools location makes it too hard to catch them.

I have yet to order brooder stock but here is what I'm thinking. Most years Endlers of some sort are in almost every body of water I have. This year I plan to raise them in vats seperated from the rest except least killies. This year I'm doing the following Endlers, black bars with the extra long double red swords, chillies and bummble bees. Swords, Kois or Showas, Marigold Painted Wags, and Pine Apples. Platys and Variatus, red tail black variatus, marigold variatus and yellow tux platys. For mollys, I'm going to try to get creamsicle sailfin lyer tails as my primary, black sailfins, dalmation sailfins, marble sailfins and bronze sailfins. I'll likely end up with additional color types. I may also try 24K lyer tail mollys as they're unusual and always go over well. I'll have least killies in almost every pool and vat.

I also plan to growout some ram fry and hope to have both normal and albino.

Inverts, will start with blue alleni crayfish, marble crayfish (Already started outside) cherry or orange or yellow shrimp, ramshorn snails, pond snails, true apple snails and maybe some columbian ramshorns if I get the stock in time-hint, hint!!

For the swords, platys, varatius and mollys I'll likely add a few female Endlers to provide a live food source. Once the Endler fry get about 3 weeks old I'll remove them to another location. For the brooders just listed I use fish traps built from poly sheet hard 1/4" hole net material and PVC pipe to build a cage. In my experince fry leave the trap / cage ASAP. In the vats the cages work OK, but you lose about 30% of the fry to the parents.

Any words of wisdom or interest in extra brooder stock I'll likely get? Just one thing, on brooder stock I cull down to 1 male on each type of molly, sword, platy and variatus. If you're looking for a nice colorful group of all male livebearers let me know and I can make it happen.

coralbandit

Albino rams??? You hope or know where there are some??? Very rare....
What /who is your source for ram fry?
I am interested in getting my pearl gouramis outdoors ,but it is not outdoor season in NY yet.....

Rams4life!

Albino rams??? You hope or know where there are some??? Very rare....
What /who is your source for ram fry?
I am interested in getting my pearl gouramis outdoors ,but it is not outdoor season in NY yet.....
Exactly what I was going to say, I don't think I've ever seen albino Rams! Did you mean gold Rams?

You gave me some more ideas lol. Also you mention the traps then say you lose 30% of the fry? How do shrimp do in the heat?

Exigenn

I was thinking about trying endlers outdoors this year (also ny). What do you do for filtration on something of that size outdoors (if anything?)

GreenGo

I was considering trying some Dwarf Puffers outdoors, but would also love to try some other species such as Red Eye or Amazon. Only reason I can't is because I don't have the equipment to house them after bringing them back in when winter starts rolling around :(

How big of a system would you suggest for Dwarf Puffers @Henningc ? I may be able to get ahold of some kiddie pools or some such, but I'm nearly certain they will be too shallow. I also don't have access to anything fancy like vats and such, so just a minimum size (L x W x H) is much appreciated. I'm not sure if it'll be able to happen this season, but I'll sure try!

PS, I have a partially shaded area I can possibly use depending on how much sun it'll get, as that'll influence the temp of the system and thus the depth needed. Feel free to let me know if you need any other info and I'll see if I can get it for you :D

coralbandit

I am interested in Craigs response but I have got pretty heavy duty water vessels from Agway and Tractor supply..
I used the big galvanized trough and lined it with rubber for my fountain! Still works like a charm!

GreenGo

I never did think of Tractor Supply :whistle: don't know why as it kept popping up everywhere lol

Rams4life!

I checked tractor supply and all the ones I saw were very expensive (more than $1 per gallon)... Home Depot has the cheapest ones, this is the best one I saw: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid...n-Hi-Top-Storage-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965

@Exigenn For $25! It's somewhat deep so the fish can choose how warm or cold they want it to be. Don't use a filter/or any type of circulation, as the water will be hot everywhere and can be bad for the fish..(At least in the south).

Also I'm planning on making a hole for mine so it's 4-6" in the ground.

GreenGo

That's actually a great idea @Rams4life! - to bury it in the ground I mean (y) keeps it cooler than it otherwise would be. Now why can't I think of such things :LOL:

coralbandit

I don't trust those bins for one season...
I would at least look at something like these ;
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...cts-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005
They start at 15 ,40 and 110 g at least...
I was more talking about these for fish ;
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...oam-stock-tanks-100-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...oam-stock-tanks-150-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005
But like I said also lined a galvy tub like this with rubber[ epdm];
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...6-ft-w-x-2-ft-h-390-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

I use one of those 'storage ' bins I might want to bury it as deep as practical....IMO they need extra support and protection from the sun....

Exigenn

I was thinking maybe a ratchet strap around them or something for support. The landlord here is a ****. Said no to kiddie pools period, Even small ones. Also said the maximum water can only be 50 gallons give or take.....

Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Im in the process of setting up my pond. In aa small capacity, until i move, that is. Ill get some pics of what i use which is a "hybrid" (lmao) setup. I use TSC & a preformed pond (hand me down). Its what i got and worked great last year.

Rams4life!

Yeah, I think you're right on that, that they aren't that sturdy.... So probably bury they almost all the way. Or cement then in, around the outside ! Lol.

I was trying to keep it inexpensive, and those tubs are very pricey, other than the 1st one....

GreenGo

Yeah, i was thinking the same on the pricyness of the tubs CB... Just neglected to mention it at the time...

On other news, I found a nice sorta large extra thick plastic tub thingy that I don't have a picture of :oops: only issue? It's been outside for a long time and I have no clue what it contains besides rust... Not sure if I should trust it, but given it'd be great for this sorta thing I've decided to try to clean it out and test use it for some guppy culls in my 40B that are destined to doom anyway :sneaky:

So, how should I go about cleaning this? I've heard two primary ways
  1. let it sit out in the sun for a bit (mainly for new tubs) and then rinse it several times with water while letting water set in it overnight/for a few days
  2. do the same as above, but with water from the get go, and change water out every few days
I'm just not sure if I'm remembering these methods correctly or not, :unsure: but both have you do this for a couple weeks and test with some cheap fish for a week to make sure the water isn't going to kill what you hope to breed in the tubs

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks! :D

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
I'd be interested in chili endlers. I'd like to try the water troughs outside.