Summer Breeding Program 2017 - Planning Stage

Henningc

Well every January I begin to plan what will happen in the summer. I'm going with the same number of containers, Pools and Vats, but I will be deploying the methods I test ran last summer. First on the list is utilizing growout vats more effectively. My goal with this is to have fish large enough to market by mid-July. That will help with the annual winter glut of fish needing to be moved indoors. Last year I sucessfully cut the number down significantly while only utilizing one vat in this fashion. This year I'll use between 3-4 for growouts. Seeing that the vats will be reserved, that means less variety of fish to spawn. That said, I'll cut a few lines the slim it down to two types of Endlers. (More Below)

During the fall and continuing until spring I am busy assembling enough giant bio filters for every container. I also am working on the light stands for heat lamps. If all goes as planned, I should be able to get fish out earlier using the lamps. I also intend to begin cleaning out and prepping the pools and vats with filters in March. This should help everything get settled down more quickly and allow for greater stocking levels from the start. Due to St. Louis' impossible weather last year, I now know which fish can take the cold snaps in early spring. Armed with that knowledge and the heat lamps I should avoid any issues like last year with the Variatus. I also plan to test a few methods for limiting the direct sun light into some containers. Full sun makes the water exremely hot and at 86f and above slows growth and almost stops reproduction. I only have one pool and two vats that this is an issue. I'm thinking of making the sun sheild dual use to keep leaves and stuff out of the pools during storms. The trade off for avoiding the full sun is tree cover and that comes with the above issue. Note: If you're thinking use screening over the top then understand you will lose most of the free mosquito larva and that will be a huge loss causing slower production. During the first 6 weeks the fish are out the eat tens of thousands mosquito larva. For control purposes I start harvesting mosquito larva when they first appear and feed them to the brooder fish inside to condition them before going out. Once the fish are out, I continue to harvest the larva to condition my indoor fish. I also begin to freeze a lot of them for winter feeding indoors.

This years stock list will be a little different than last. I'm going in some different directions with types and color varieties of stock this year. The dual theme is either back to basics or just because I like them! This years mollys will likely be all sailfins again featuring Black, Marbles, Sunsets and Cream. It seems what ever I raise people are asking for Black Sailfins or what I had last year. This will limit the number of each color variety available but hopefully appeal to a wider number of buyers. In the area of swords, I'll absolutely have Pine Apples, and plan a small number of Koi and Painted / Wag & straight marigolds. Again smaller numbers of each type.. On the platy front, no straight platys just variatus. Redtail Black, Redtail Blue and Sunburst. The mollys, swords and variatus will fill three pools. The last pool will be for Chilli Endlers. I will have at least one vat full of Yellow Jacket Endlers and will likely add some to the sword and variatus pools. I'll likely add some Black Bar Endlers to the molly pool. By adding Endlers to the other pools I avoid having excess food that floats out of the breeder traps. The crayfish effectively assist with this as well. Other stock will include Alleni Crayfish, Shufeldtii Crayfish and CPO's. All containers will be started with a good number of Least Killies with the greatest number being in the empty growout vats. I'm also planning to stock corys again. They produced last year but not all that well. Last but never least I'll be stocking ramshorn and pond snails in each container. They help with clean up and by mid-summer the numbers allow me to harvest for the crayfish. This keeps the crayfish fed and cuts down the murder rate if you know what I mean. I'm also considering trying some mystry snails in the vats.

That is all for now.

Rayzor77

Well every January I begin to plan what will happen in the summer. I'm going with the same number of containers, Pools and Vats, but I will be deploying the methods I test ran last summer. First on the list is utilizing growout vats more effectively. My goal with this is to have fish large enough to market by mid-July. That will help with the annual winter glut of fish needing to be moved indoors. Last year I sucessfully cut the number down significantly while only utilizing one vat in this fashion. This year I'll use between 3-4 for growouts. Seeing that the vats will be reserved, that means less variety of fish to spawn. That said, I'll cut a few lines the slim it down to two types of Endlers. (More Below)

During the fall and continuing until spring I am busy assembling enough giant bio filters for every container. I also am working on the light stands for heat lamps. If all goes as planned, I should be able to get fish out earlier using the lamps. I also intend to begin cleaning out and prepping the pools and vats with filters in March. This should help everything get settled down more quickly and allow for greater stocking levels from the start. Due to St. Louis' impossible weather last year, I now know which fish can take the cold snaps in early spring. Armed with that knowledge and the heat lamps I should avoid any issues like last year with the Variatus. I also plan to test a few methods for limiting the direct sun light into some containers. Full sun makes the water exremely hot and at 86f and above slows growth and almost stops reproduction. I only have one pool and two vats that this is an issue. I'm thinking of making the sun sheild dual use to keep leaves and stuff out of the pools during storms. The trade off for avoiding the full sun is tree cover and that comes with the above issue. Note: If you're thinking use screening over the top then understand you will lose most of the free mosquito larva and that will be a huge loss causing slower production. During the first 6 weeks the fish are out the eat tens of thousands mosquito larva. For control purposes I start harvesting mosquito larva when they first appear and feed them to the brooder fish inside to condition them before going out. Once the fish are out, I continue to harvest the larva to condition my indoor fish. I also begin to freeze a lot of them for winter feeding indoors.

This years stock list will be a little different than last. I'm going in some different directions with types and color varieties of stock this year. The dual theme is either back to basics or just because I like them! This years mollys will likely be all sailfins again featuring Black, Marbles, Sunsets and Cream. It seems what ever I raise people are asking for Black Sailfins or what I had last year. This will limit the number of each color variety available but hopefully appeal to a wider number of buyers. In the area of swords, I'll absolutely have Pine Apples, and plan a small number of Koi and Painted / Wag & straight marigolds. Again smaller numbers of each type.. On the platy front, no straight platys just variatus. Redtail Black, Redtail Blue and Sunburst. The mollys, swords and variatus will fill three pools. The last pool will be for Chilli Endlers. I will have at least one vat full of Yellow Jacket Endlers and will likely add some to the sword and variatus pools. I'll likely add some Black Bar Endlers to the molly pool. By adding Endlers to the other pools I avoid having excess food that floats out of the breeder traps. The crayfish effectively assist with this as well. Other stock will include Alleni Crayfish, Shufeldtii Crayfish and CPO's. All containers will be started with a good number of Least Killies with the greatest number being in the empty growout vats. I'm also planning to stock corys again. They produced last year but not all that well. Last but never least I'll be stocking ramshorn and pond snails in each container. They help with clean up and by mid-summer the numbers allow me to harvest for the crayfish. This keeps the crayfish fed and cuts down the murder rate if you know what I mean. I'm also considering trying some mystry snails in the vats.

That is all for now.

Very cool, I am thinking of doing swords in my koi pond bog filter, I am in NY so I figure I have May thru September for a few generations

discusbreeder

As soon as I get moved and set up I am going to see how many different species I can get going and how fast. Most of it will be indoors but I am looking at a couple of outdoor possibilities. My accent is going to be on seahorse and apistogramma species that I have not bred before with the goal of getting the list above 800 by next March, means 35 new species or more.

Larry

coralbandit

I am hoping to get fish out side sort of in memory of Craig. Probably some swordtails myself ,maybe platies if I still have hem then?
I always looked forward to his summer projects and updates...
He is missed .