Spawning mops

Mbkemp

I think I want to make some spawning mops for my upcoming apisto journey. Any advice? Things not to do? Things that definitely need done?

tunamanphd

Didn’t think Apistos used mops .
?

tunamanphd

Some do use them. I think I saw a video on aquatic clarity. Used for both a place for fry to graze and a hide out if needed
I see - I thought you wanted them for their spawning.

vikingkirken

Make sure you use colorfast yarn. Acrylic is good. I believe it was Larry who said soak a piece in H2O2 for a bit to see if the color runs.

If you suspend them in the tank by an extra yarn stand, make sure the end stays up on the lid... Over the side and it will wick water out of the tank, making puddles on the floor... Don't ask me how I know :sneaky:

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
I would never put a mop in an Apisto tank. I would guess the guy was using them for plant substitutes, but if you can't grow plants (which serve a very useful biological function) then I'm not sure you'd want Apistos. You want to give the fish a decent environment, and plants serve an extremely useful function in a dwarf cichlid tank. They are food sources for fry, territorial dividers, filters to a degree and shadow suppliers.
Mops, made from acrylic yarn only, are sterile, ugly as sin and designed to trap eggs. Even fake plastic plants (the horror) would be a better option.
By the time fry need to hide independently of the parents, they have to be removed if the tank is under 75 gallons. Until then, with a fine substrate (they are Geophagines - eartheaters), some java moss, other plants, rocks and wood, they will have hundreds of times the benefits of an ugly fake looking mop.
When I had killies in with Apistos, I found the digging and earth moving habits of the dwarf cichlids tended to mess up mops, which turned into dirt traps. I'm not familiar with aquatic clarity, but I guess it could be a bare tank, mass production technique for someone not interested in observing the fish and all in on selling them only. That would probably work, and if you were breeding the fish to have maximum numbers off to market quickly, the ugliness and limitations of mops wouldn't matter. I suppose.
In an undecorated tank, Apistos will be a shadow of their potential colours, will behave in stereotypical ways (like old fashioned zoo animals) and will be stressed. If you are keeping them to sell them only, then things like looks and behavior wouldn't matter, I guess.

Mbkemp

I would never put a mop in an Apisto tank. I would guess the guy was using them for plant substitutes, but if you can't grow plants (which serve a very useful biological function) then I'm not sure you'd want Apistos. You want to give the fish a decent environment, and plants serve an extremely useful function in a dwarf cichlid tank. They are food sources for fry, territorial dividers, filters to a degree and shadow suppliers.
Mops, made from acrylic yarn only, are sterile, ugly as sin and designed to trap eggs. Even fake plastic plants (the horror) would be a better option.
By the time fry need to hide independently of the parents, they have to be removed if the tank is under 75 gallons. Until then, with a fine substrate (they are Geophagines - eartheaters), some java moss, other plants, rocks and wood, they will have hundreds of times the benefits of an ugly fake looking mop.
When I had killies in with Apistos, I found the digging and earth moving habits of the dwarf cichlids tended to mess up mops, which turned into dirt traps. I'm not familiar with aquatic clarity, but I guess it could be a bare tank, mass production technique for someone not interested in observing the fish and all in on selling them only. That would probably work, and if you were breeding the fish to have maximum numbers off to market quickly, the ugliness and limitations of mops wouldn't matter. I suppose.
In an undecorated tank, Apistos will be a shadow of their potential colours, will behave in stereotypical ways (like old fashioned zoo animals) and will be stressed. If you are keeping them to sell them only, then things like looks and behavior wouldn't matter, I guess.
That is what I am talking about! Thank you