Otter Valley Aquarium Society Annual Auction 5-20-18 Rutland, VT

tunamanphd

Andy Sager

Wish it were closer to where I live. :( I missed not being able to go to the Tampa show this year. It wasn't my fault a HURRICANE ruined the place it as being held at. :( :^S

tunamanphd

Was a buyers market today . Stuff sold for pennies on the dollar . This auction is known to be bad for sellers so I knew already . I did pick up some sweet wild Mayan Swordtails and some Blue Marbled Angels

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
No one ever got rich from club auctions. Sometimes I make fish buying money, sometimes I realize I helped some other aquarist try keeping some new, quality fish at a really low price. People like you who brought things to that auction made a contribution to the hobby. It's a shame sometimes when the hobby doesn't exactly contribute back, but as long as we expect to lose and sometimes win, we always win.
Sort of. :unsure:

tunamanphd

No one ever got rich from club auctions. Sometimes I make fish buying money, sometimes I realize I helped some other aquarist try keeping some new, quality fish at a really low price. People like you who brought things to that auction made a contribution to the hobby. It's a shame sometimes when the hobby doesn't exactly contribute back, but as long as we expect to lose and sometimes win, we always win.
Sort of. :unsure:
I definetly scored on the fish I got. Was actully bidding on some of the swordtail species a few weeks back on AB but lost out. I will soon have some of the https://www.chicagolivebearer.com/index.php/livebearer-profiles/70-xiphophorus-mayae for sharing I hope. I now have 6 different species of wild live-bearers in my fishroom:)

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
I had maeyi a few years ago. It's a big one, heavy bodied. Mine took 11 months to sex out. I was absolutely certain I had all females, and ended up 50/50. I think I may gotten them through David Banks, in fact. So it's probably the same strain (especially given how rare imports/captures of that species are.) I think if I recall I started with a bag of fry.

Andy Sager

It's nice to see some wild varieties of "common" fish back on the market. During my years of importing, wild stock of livebearers was non existent. Good thing I haven't sold off all my tanks. I could get hooked again. :whistle:

Mbkemp

tunamanphd

tunamanphd

It's nice to see some wild varieties of "common" fish back on the market. During my years of importing, wild stock of livebearers was non existent. Good thing I haven't sold off all my tanks. I could get hooked again. :whistle:
All I really like are wilds - I sell a few others but I think I'm going to phase them out (except one guppy line that makes Bank:))

tunamanphd

I had maeyi a few years ago. It's a big one, heavy bodied. Mine took 11 months to sex out. I was absolutely certain I had all females, and ended up 50/50. I think I may gotten them through David Banks, in fact. So it's probably the same strain (especially given how rare imports/captures of that species are.) I think if I recall I started with a bag of fry.
Mine came from a Breeder named Bill Cole - awesome dude from Saugerties,NY the man can take an empty tank and end up with fry lol . I'll find out where his original stock came from. Didnt get a chance to talk much today with him. I was also vending (plants) so that made my trip there worth it (at least paid the gas, burger, and beer bill)

Andy Sager

You made out Okay in my book if it paid for gas and beer....and food too. ;) :D (y)