My 'Summer Tubbin' project 2016

Fishobsessed7

this is just a copy and paste from my tanks thread so I don't have to type everything out again.:) So from now on I'll be posting about the tubs here!

It's finally been warm enough outside to put some fish out. (While we were gone happened to be the best time for that) I've only got three 110 gallon tubs because my dad took the 150 gallon tub while we were gone and it is now a water tank for cows.(n) I also have a 32 gallon trash can.
Tub 1 is home to 3 angelfish, three male gold barbs, and two female bettas
Tub2 has 3 pairs of gold barbs and an extra male
Tub3 contains two male blue lyretail guppies and a male Platy
The trash can is/was home to a female betta.
The 150 was supposed to have a breeding pair of angels but they'll have to stay inside and EBA

Tub1 is just a grow out/holding tub. I may just throw the breeding pair in there so the pair that was going to stay inside can have the tank to themselves as planned. This tub will also end up with three spare male cories as well.

For tub2 I would like to get another small fish to breed as the gold barbs stay down low. If they don't come up I'm gonna have a mosquito infestation! :eek: This tub has the most mosquito larvae for some reason. I'm thinking possibly gardneri killies but am not sure.

And tub3 will just need a few female gups and Platies and I would call it good!

And I don't know what to do with the trash can just yet. I'm wondering if white clouds would do well in here since it is cooler than the other tubs as its in a shadier location. I'm also not sure if the female betta is still in there as I haven't seen her since I released her.

Fishobsessed7

So did a fish search in the trash can with my handy dandy giant net and I caught the female betta and moved her to the "grow out" tub. I also caught a nice large male guppy. I put six or seven in there earlier in the season before we left and there was a cold snap and I didn't see anymore so I assumed they all died, so he was a nice surprise. He was moved to the guppy tub.

Unfortunately I think I also caught a mayfly larvae but I'm not 100% sure because there was quite a bit of debris in the net and I couldn't get a clear view. But I made sure I got everything out of the net and smashed it. I did several more next swipes and didn't find anymore so I think I'm good but still unsure.

If anyone has suggestions on what to put in here I'd be happy to hear them! It is pretty deep with not a lot of surface area so options are somewhat limited.

Fishobsessed7

In the guppy tub there is a plant basket floating empty, and the water has been clearing up in there over the last week or so. Well today as I was checking the tubs I saw a mayfly larvae sitting on the bottom of the basket. So I took the basket out of the water and when the water drained their was a whole bunch of them! my thoughts went something like this... :):whistle::):oops:o_O:eek::mad::sick::cry:

So is this something I should be worried about?

@Henningc have you ever had to deal with these in your tubs?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Im wouldnt worry abt it. I dont think its harmful. Guppies should eat most larvae that occurs in your containers. Upping fliw and circulation helps with these issues. The insects cant settle on the water long enough to lay eggs.

fish wrangler

The mayflies are only a food source not a problem in your tubs. When they are very big (3/4-1") they may catch a newborn fry, but otherwise they're harmless. Increasing flow won't stop them from gettimg there, mayflies lay there eggs on moving and broken water in the wild, and the larva (nymphs) live in fast moving water on the wild.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
The mayflies are only a food source not a problem in your tubs. When they are very big (3/4-1") they may catch a newborn fry, but otherwise they're harmless. Increasing flow won't stop them from gettimg there, mayflies lay there eggs on moving and broken water in the wild, and the larva (nymphs) live in fast moving water on the wild.
Thank you. I did not know that about mayflies and moving water. Great info, bruh!

Fishobsessed7

Thank you both for the info! There was a mixture of tiny guys to large ones, but now that I think about, at the rate livebearers reproduce a few fry getting eaten shouldn't be a problem!

Fishobsessed7

I added 5 dwarf neon rainbows to the guppy tub and several mosquito fish to the trash can a couple days ago. The mosquito fish are thriving, but I haven't been able to spot the rainbows yet.

I also found a guppy swimming in with the mosquito fish so another one survived, this time a female. I was able to move her into the guppy tub.

Last edited:

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Any pics?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Is that shot with a gopro? Too cool.

Fishobsessed7

I had to take down the tubs Tuesday and Wednesday because I am not going to be able to when the temps start dropping. (n)

I didn't get any fry, but that's ok because this summer has been soo busy for me, and the tubs were only out for a short period of time.

I got all of the gold barbs, angelfish, cories, killies, and guppies. And I was one short on the rainbows. The fish have all found homes inside and are doing great! In fact, the male killi is doing 'The Dance' right now!:love:

I did leave out the mosquito fish since they can handle the cooler temps.

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
I haven't brought any of mine in yet. With the way the weather is going I'm guessing it will be close to October when I bring the fish in.