Mascot and Cheerleaders

vikingkirken

I was reading up on pom pom crabs because I was curious about them with sea stars. Are you going to have tiny anemones in here for them to wave around (pom-pom style)? I think that's the funniest fishy thing I've ever read!

GreenGo

I was reading up on pom pom crabs because I was curious about them with sea stars. Are you going to have tiny anemones in here for them to wave around (pom-pom style)? I think that's the funniest fishy thing I've ever read!
I actually read some into the same last night! I think I might try some, but honestly hoping the pom pom crabs somehow replicate the anemones on their claws. To be completely honest, my water may not be good enough for anemones (@Tmrc exotics and others have recommended having a tank set up at least a year before adding anemones), so I'll probably get the pom poms (they come with anemones, naturally) and if the anemones survive I'll try to get some more micro anemones for the young 'uns I hope to get from the crabs. :)

GreenGo

I'll likely keep them, then. Just in case I want to try my hand at keeping Harlie Shrimp down the line.

vikingkirken

I actually read some into the same last night! I think I might try some, but honestly hoping the pom pom crabs somehow replicate the anemones on their claws. To be completely honest, my water may not be good enough for anemones (@Tmrc exotics and others have recommended having a tank set up at least a year before adding anemones), so I'll probably get the pom poms (they come with anemones, naturally) and if the anemones survive I'll try to get some more micro anemones for the young 'uns I hope to get from the crabs. :)
Apparently they steal anemones from each other, and can split them in half as well! If you have surviving anemones, you might not need to buy more. SO cool!

GreenGo

Due to wanting to get my shipments out of the way by May, this won't be stocked until probably around mid-May.

However, @Tmrc exotics @Reefing Madness during this "cycling" period (since that's what it is, really) should I be doing water changes, or just topping off with RODI water? How often should I test the water to see if I need to add a small amount of food for the bacteria on the live rock?