Killifish Aquarium: A Step-by-step Guide By Darryl Yu

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
This really interests me! How is the reading going?

discusbreeder

Brenna
I did killifish at school, North Carolina State University in the 1970s. I have messed with a few since then but not like my original fascination. The only thing I can tell you as a general rule, with all fish not just killis, if the results someone claims cannot be duplicated by their claim it is a lie. Several Johnnie-come-latelys have published where they bred this and that different killi in bare tanks, never happened killis require substrat and many also require plants, I have also seen claims where eggs were lain and hatched on the same day, while this is possible not one of the descriptions I have read produced the claimed results for me or any of the twelve doubters that tried them. There are also some that claim to have bred

Arthur

Yes, of course, I would like to make again killies . But the problem is the fodder. There must be live fodder all year round. As it used to be. More than 50 ponds. But I dare not more go to the middle of the ice
In the winter I might be able to access Enchyträen (white worm) and Drosophila. (Flies without wings)

Perhaps I order eggs from Holland. When it's warm.
I would like to do Sjoestedti again, or bitaeniatum, or if I a good stem Pseudepiplatys annulatus find. But they ar all to small.

discusbreeder

Arthur
Any more I have gotten lazy about foods for fish. There is a good biological supply house that i can order cultures from almost as cheaply as i can grow them myself and frozen foods are available in the same cost ranges. It saves maintaining dozens of feeding cultures and the risk of infections from seining wild caught foods. Frozen foods also have advantage of being pre-portioned so it is easy to control feedings. Both sources have the advantage of providing a wide variety of safe foods for your tanks . The live cultures also provide you with safe starter cultures for your own culture setups. Then there is the aforementioned reason, it is lazy, time constraints currently prevent me from culturing my own food supply.
Larry

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
We haven't seen a review yet to know if there's anything Brenna disagrees with.
I have mop spawned killies, in bare tanks though. I would never keep them in bare bottomed tanks - I keep no fish in such tanks. But for short term breeding of Aphyosemions, Platopocheilus, Procatopus, Poropanchax, Chromaphyosemion, and Fundulopanchax, it has worked well. I've even duplicated it again and again.
I don't keep annuals though. I don't really enjoy keeping that group.

I culture whiteworms, and raise artemia for mine. Sometimes, I have wingless fruit flies, and all summer long they get daphnia several times a week. But I have also done very well feeding decapsulated artemia as a staple at times.

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
I have failed extensively at them - 3 tries. All summer, I have wonderful Daphnia out back, capable of feeding all my tanks 3 times a week (40+ tanks). But indoors, I can't do it. The cultures crash.

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
I did get bivittatum to reproduce successfully in a bare bottomed tank with tons of floating plants. Unfortunately I'm down to 1 female and 5 males and no fry, But those 6 fish came from a bare bottom tank.

I haven't finished the book. Work got in the way.

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
What beginner killifish would you guys suggest? In terms of trying to reproduce, and looks similar to either gardneri or the Blue Gularis? @Arthur @Brenna
I agree about Australe, also gardneri has several different collection points so don t rule those out. Blue gularis get large so there's that.

discusbreeder

Maybe someone already has experience with Japanese Moina flea cultures?
Arthur

It is just a water flea, daphnid, and was made popular because the Japanese studied treating it with medications as a live delivery system for treating koi and fancy goldfish. There are any of a dozen North American species that may be easier to attain and culture, there is even one the size of a penny.

Larry

discusbreeder

Arthur

Yes they are available in ponds and ditches where you find algae and microbes but you have to be careful. Many things are also in these waters that you do not want to import. Predatory nymphs, damsel fly and dragonfly suspend in the surface layer for a few weeks after hatching. If they are not eaten when they get into your tank they will soon be eating small fishes. And several diseases, some for the fish and some for you and including typhoid and diphtheria, can also be present. As a rule do not take fish or foods from any water that does not have fresh water draining through it.

Larry

Arthur

I will not collect moina from bad water. I will order better.
Other futter catch me. Now beautiful wintercyclops. But I leave the futter always one day to wait. Because of the parasite circuits.
I have not had any fish diseases for several years.