GreenGo's Fish Room #REVAMP and General Updates

GreenGo

Now, I know this is an odd place to put a fish room thread, seeing as it's in the Ponds and Water Gardens section of the forum, but i actually think it to be most fitting for my purposes of this thread (y) you'll see why when you step in and I explain things a bit...

So, now that you're in the room, let me tell you a li'l something about this here room which you can't see since I don't have any pictures :LOL: I planned to have a crayfish "pond" if you will in the middle of the room when I get it cleaned and organized. I also planned to have water from the cray pond pump into an aquaponics system above it. From the aquaponics system, I planned to have a largely gravity-fed return to my pumps. From there, the water from my larger tanks would be siphoned into the cray pond to be recycled through the system.

In this here thread, where I will allow you a li'l peak at my currently disheveled fish room. I'll focus this thread around three main parts of my fish room:
  1. my crayfish "pond"
  2. my aquaponics system
  3. and the state or condition of my fish room itself (including its tidiness or lack thereof ;) )
What I will not go in-depth about on this thread is other things like specific aquariums (e.g., my river manifold tank or Reed/Snake/Ropefish species aquarium). Those will have their own specific threads associated with each tank.

So, now you can understand why this is the best place to put this thread (y) :D

You may have noticed how I decided to phrase the second paragraph of what I said. If not, go back and look (y) notice it now?? If you think I mean past tense, you'd be correct. I did want to set up my aquaponics system like that, but due to the potential cost of such an endeavor, I'd likely get nothing else done so I've changed things around a bit.

Pics will come within next couple weeks, including the disheveled mess I'm working to organize ;) trust me, it's worse than it sounds atm :LOL: But I've decided instead of having the crayfish pond as part of the aquaponics system I'd have it as its own system so I don't need as large of a pump. Also, I was considering having the aquaponics system pretty high up, maybe 4 feet off the ground (again, pics to come next couple weeks), but I'll be lowering that to 1 to 2 feet off the ground depending on how I can get the water flow. The dream is to not need a pump at all in this system, which'll either plumb my 135 Reedfish Aquarium or my 75 River Manifold Aquarium to this water garden (haha, get the play on words :p ), and I may be able to play with the height to allow gravity to do most, if not all, of the work. Though, if I do this in my River Manifold system I'll still need a couple powerheads for proper return flow on the tank (y)

Now, since it's the middle of the night right now, you need to go back to your place until later. I know, you wanna see the fishies, but it's late and I need my zzzzs. I'll post pics when I get them (the pics, not the zzzs ;) haha, though hopefully I can get some of those too (y)

GreenGo

So, in designing my crayfish pond I've decided to invest in some 2x6's, but am unsure if I should lay them like an aquarium is built (2 longer in front and back, 2 shorter on sides) or where each is of equal length and just screwed together in the corners?? What do y'all think? The 2x6s will be lined with plastic and sand will be laid on bottom so there's less chance of any crays poking holes in anything :cautious:

Tomorrow will be the first day I'll be seriously working in the fishroom, and hopefully I can get it organized in a couple weeks time. I'll have to move stuff out, move remaining stuff (mainly operating tanks) to one side of the room to paint, move stuff to opposite side of the room to paint, start constructing racks, start putting tanks on racks (including those outside), and then I plan to start putting the shrimp NPTs together. I'd really like the shrimp tanks done before, but I don't want to move them too much/too many times. May have to streamline this a bit (e.g., build and ready racks so after I paint I can start installing the one side and put tanks on to reduce stress on animals).. Any ideas?

GreenGo

We need pictures! I personally can't focus on all the text without picture breaks.
Haha, happens to me as well lol (y) I'll post pics tomorrow :D

GreenGo

Alright, now for the embarrassment :oops: :LOL:

Before Pics
Please enter my humble (messy
:ROFLMAO: ) aquatic's abode (you've seen this one before)

but the following one is one I took today @12:45PM when I started (ofc, I had already taken a canister filter out that I wasn't bringing back :cautious:

Another view, just a tad higher

Moving along, please turn right
(y) [looking down]

Looking up

Wow! what a messy desk
:oops:

Doesn't get any better :cautious:

alright, that part isn't so bad haha

Watch where you step!!

GreenGo

Some of my tanks

More tanks + Walstad tank substrate

Now behind the 75 gal (which you can't get to
:oops: )

nearly finished

^epic fail 75 gal that I put bones in which hardened the water immensely :LOL:

Final Pic (before, at least
;) )

And now.... The in-progress Pics
After I stopped recently at 2:15PM (1.5 hours worked)

Hope you stay tuned for the second #REVAMP of my fish room, this time the room itself! For reference, below is what I plan for it to look like ;)

Please note several things:
  1. the blue line at right is just for reference so you know it's there
  2. the 3 inch surrounding seen at the bottom is the extent of where I can put aquariums, from next to my desk (see point 3, below) to my closet (not shown) at right
  3. the large rectangle at right next to my 135 gal represents my desk - another no-build spot :(
  4. IT'S NOT FINISHED YET! As you can tell, I don't have 9 @10 gal tanks on the top, and I still have enough room to expand the racks one higher if need be (probably)
  5. it doesn't show all the miscellaneous stuff in the previous pics that I will likely create a for-sale ad for on the forum (I've got a lot to fit many needs/tastes)
  6. it doesn't show the air system I still plan to install
  7. and finally, it doesn't show the planned color scheme ;) y'all will have to wait on that (y) though, by all means leave suggestions below on what you think would look good and I may like it (I've got to figure out what I need for all this so I can only have to make one trip to the Home Depot). As previously mentioned, you never know if I'll pick your suggestion unless you mention it (and I may decide on a prize for this as a mini-RAOK not shown on the proper thread :p haha, I may put it on there :lazy: :cautious: :ROFLMAO: )

GreenGo

Don't forget of you lay the blocks the other way you will have little cubbies for electric etc.
Yeah, I was lazy so I didn't put the holes :oops: but they're situated so the holes would be facing the inside of the room where the cray pond will be so I'll have little cubbies like you recommended (y)

EDIT: probably should've added that to the "several things you should know" list :oops: haha

fish wrangler

And I thought my fish stuff was messy...that room takes the cake!

Why isn't the cray pond drawn in?

GreenGo

And I thought my fish stuff was messy...that room takes the cake!

Why isn't the cray pond drawn in?
Hey, be nice :p Haha, it is quite the mess :LOL: (y)

The cray pond is drawn in, it's just not immediately recognizable. Due to the very tight space I have since I'm leaving 2 ft all way around the pond, the bottom portion of the legit aquarium stand looking will be lined with plastic, then about an inch of sand or so will be laid with MTS (made that part with inch of sand an MTS up on the go, but it sounds good :ROFLMAO: ), and after that ALL the crays will be put in there. I'm just trying to figure out how I'll be working the aquaponic grow bed, which I've decided the easiest way to do it is to just have the water being pumped up from the cray pond to the plants so there's less pipes & stuff and more walking room (y)

Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention: the 2x4s on the DIY shelves holding up the 2nd and possibly third shelves will go all the way from the bottom to the top of the lumber, instead of as shown which makes it seem like it'll only be directly in-between the two levels of the stand. Just thought I'd mention that before someone experienced like @coralbandit or @Ziggy953 came along and mentioned something to that effect :whistle: Oh, and to clarify, it'll essentially be the same as the cray pond in the center of the room, but with an added 2x4 on the inside portion of the vertical support 2x4s as well (y)

Also, please let me know if you can't see the pics! I can always reinsert them, as I've done that before to great success. Thanks! :D

GreenGo

I see all the pic. Looks like alot of thought went into it. When are you bringing cinder blocks and lumber home?? :)
Planning to figure all that out in my off time at ASU today :D Hopefully getting the paint, cinder blocks, lumber, and pvc pipe all in one trip for (hopefully) most of my needs including filtration for most tanks and all (y)

Bpfish

I love the layout but, I had a thought that you may find helpful. You may want to use a sturdier board for building The shelf over the 135. I'm thinking that it may sag over time. This is why. The shelf over the 135 Is probably about 6 feet long if it's a standard 135. Each 10 gallon weighs about 110 pounds when filled. That's 330 pounds with 3 on top. Standard load for a 2x4 at 6 feet is about 300 ish pounds, not all 2x4s are created equal. It might be good to either go with thicker boards or add one or two more lengthwise for additional support. Maybe both depending on what the plan is for the shelf load.

Here's an interesting link talking about board load.
http://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...much-can-an-spf-2x4-turned-on-3-5-end-support

GreenGo

I love the layout but, I had a thought that you may find helpful. You may want to use a sturdier board for building The shelf over the 135. I'm thinking that it may sag over time. This is why. The shelf over the 135 Is probably about 6 feet long if it's a standard 135. Each 10 gallon weighs about 110 pounds when filled. That's 330 pounds with 3 on top. Standard load for a 2x4 at 6 feet is about 300 ish pounds, not all 2x4s are created equal. It might be good to either go with thicker boards or add one or two more lengthwise for additional support. Maybe both depending on what the plan is for the shelf load.

Here's an interesting link talking about board load.
http://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...much-can-an-spf-2x4-turned-on-3-5-end-support
Thanks for that tip! :D The board over the 135 is 6' 5 1/4" (it's a standard 135, but taking into account the end of the shelf where the side support is and the end by the wall it adds a bit of extra needed room) and I had planned to put 7 @10 gal tanks ends out to save space, but now I'm not thinking that's a great idea :eek: (even though the Sagulator says it'll be safe with 0.01 total/0.001 per foot if I use douglas fir lumber and uniform load {what else would I use??} :cautious: ). I may go ahead and redesign this slightly so I'm not wasting lumber or anything (y) {in other words, I don't think I'm going to get to HD today to purchase everything} (pic of planned fish room shown above reinserted below near end of post for convenience and ease-of-use :)

I also plan to add a shelf on top of that and the untrimmed 75 gal next to it, but I'll only be able to fit something about 6 inches tall on those two shelves (i.e., long, shallow storage tote or "halved" 10 gal :sneaky: ). Do you think a 2x6 would work better for those two shelves? I may not be able to add a third shelf if I use 2x6s, but i'd have to use a step ladder to reach that high up anyway to feed/maintain, so I'm not sure if I'd even really want to do that :unsure:

Here's a video of how I plan to build these shelves/stands/racks, though I'll also use the other two videos mentioned in the first part of the video as well (skip to 3:27 for finished product if TL;DW, as it'll give you an idea of how I plan to use the lumber). So, I'll be adding supports under each end (and between any center/side bracing) (y)
EDIT: oh, or just look at the thumbnail to get the general idea :ROFLMAO:

Also, I plan to move the side supports (like the one hiding part of each of the two trimmed 75 gals) to the outside like the end supports (which you'll notice the only "end" supports are on the 135/untrimmed 75 gal and the outside wall end of the trimmed 75 gal stands), but I'm unsure if this is necessary... I'd likely have to support those with more bricks since the way I have it now that corner is only supported by the stack of two high twin cinder blocks, and I don't feel comfortable trusting so much just to the shearing weight of the wood screws I'll use. I'll likely move that middle block over (under the left trimmed 75 gal) to support the center brace of that shelf since it kinda makes me a bit uncomfortable as is if I end up moving the side bracing outside like I plan to for the end supports... (I'm not afraid to invest more $$ if that's what's necessary though) Is this movement of the side supports to the outside really necessary, or can they stay as is and be drilled from the top/bottom to provide support that way?

Also, I'm not sure if I'll add a third shelf to the trimmed 75 gal stand even though it is a possibility, as I need to measure one of the tanks I have outside that I may use for emersed growth with vampire crabs (same pic from my Divvy up my tanks! thread)

you can see the crack in the bottom, which is why I'll be using this as a mostly emersed setup with vampire crabs (I'll post a new thread on this in the coming weeks)

Last thing I wanted to mention is the ribs of the individual stands (and an offshoot). You may note a couple vertical lines (I'll reinsert the pic below to make it easier so you're not always scrolling up to my other post to see what I'm talking about) in the 135 and trimmed 75 gal shelves. Those lines represent the 6 ft mark since the lumber I got from a friend is precut to 6'. I had planned to use those pieces first (and still do plan to use them), but that'd mean I'd need to build a corner shelf which IMO doesn't look bad (y)

but I also plan to have the skeletal structure of each individual shelf like you can see for the cray pond (similar to building a fish tank) with differing numbers of ribs depending on the length of the section of shelf (shown below {numbers in list indicate number of ribs planned})
  1. rib for a ~4' section (second and possibly third shelf above the untrimmed 75 gal),
  2. ribs for a ~6' section (135 second and possibly third shelves, along with each end piece if I do the corner shelf design),
  3. ribs for a ~8' section (the trimmed 75 gal shelf is this length if I don't do the corner shelf design), and
  4. ribs for a ~10' section (the untrimmed 75 gal/135 gal stand if I don't do the corner shelf design)
Now, this may be sorta what @Bpfish was alluding to (I'm admittingly not great at architecture :oops: ), but do you guys think these numbers of 'ribs' for said approximate lengths of stands is good? Should I throw out the corner shelf design and just do one long piece design, or keep the corner shelf design and use the precut 6' lumber I got from a friend? It'd likely be easier to move with the corner shelf design, and I do plan to put a piece of plywood over each shelf to make a nice flat surface for all my tanks to rest on (in case that makes a difference). I wanna get this right so there's not a catastrophe (which is also why I'm questioning the use of the 6' precut lumber I got from a friend even though my brother-in-law {who is a welder and has built stuff with 2x4s before} says they're strong enough), but I want a second opinion since, again, I wanna get this right the first time so I don't lose a bunch of fish and inverts to a catastrophe :cautious:

fish wrangler

If you build the stand like that I suggest you use 2x4's running vertical in each corner NOT horizontal. Like he said the way he does it the weight is still on the screw, if you run the 2x4s vertical the weight is on a solid piece of lumber. You can cut down on the # of screws you use, and each additional screw weakens the wood. 4 screws into a 2x4(1.5"x3.5") is a lot, I suggest 2 or 3 at the most.

GreenGo

So, I'm torn between possibly using 2x6s vs 4x4s. Which would likely be better and hold the weight on the second and third shelves above the 135?

GreenGo

I could also use more length-wise supports if needed with either option like @Bpfish suggested. Going to be buying everything likely on Saturday (y)

fish wrangler

2×6's plus the way I said to do it would b le fine.

I built a stand for my 29 like that, I never used it but I can post a picture for you if ya want