Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Just picked up a copy the other day. Excited for it to FINALLY arrive! Should have gone with abebooks.com or alibris :/

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Surely Canada has used bookstores and websites.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
I have a few copies of this book. Excellent choice for any hobbyist to have in their arsenal.

Andy Sager

I have 2 words for this book: UNFREAKIN' BELIEVABLE!!!!! But I am a bit biased about it. :whistle: ;)

To be clear, what makes this book such a great book to have is not for the medicines it suggests using ( as many are no longer available OTC) or it's detailed descriptions of the diseases and procedures for meds but for it's Diagnostic key. The key to treating any disease is knowing what you are treating. This book's simple diagnostic "If this then that" step approach helps the fish keeper properly diagnose a fish's problem and then, that keeper can find out what meds are currently available to treat that ailment. Blindly medicating is not good. It's why many diseases today are resistant to meds of the past. Target medicating saves lives. (y)
This book follows an even earlier book on treating marine fish diseases by Dr Edward Kingsford and it was that "If this than that" step approach that saved many marine fish for me. This freshwater version quickly became my favorite "go to" book for myself and my freshwater customers to have. It's hefty price tag at the time was more than compensated by the many lives it saved. Now, you can get it cheap! There is nothing like it available online so...... BUY THE BOOK!!!!!! ;) (y)

NightShade

I have 2 words for this book: UNFREAKIN' BELIEVABLE!!!!! But I am a bit biased about it. :whistle: ;)

To be clear, what makes this book such a great book to have is not for the medicines it suggests using ( as many are no longer available OTC) or it's detailed descriptions of the diseases and procedures for meds but for it's Diagnostic key. The key to treating any disease is knowing what you are treating. This book's simple diagnostic "If this then that" step approach helps the fish keeper properly diagnose a fish's problem and then, that keeper can find out what meds are currently available to treat that ailment. Blindly medicating is not good. It's why many diseases today are resistant to meds of the past. Target medicating saves lives. (y)
This book follows an even earlier book on treating marine fish diseases by Dr Edward Kingsford and it was that "If this than that" step approach that saved many marine fish for me. This freshwater version quickly became my favorite "go to" book for myself and my freshwater customers to have. It's hefty price tag at the time was more than compensated by the many lives it saved. Now, you can get it cheap! There is nothing like it available online so...... BUY THE BOOK!!!!!! ;) (y)
This has got to be the BEST book review. You are right on all your points (IMHO). I couldn't agree more Andy! :)

I will most certainly purchase this book first thing in the morning, as I am going to sleep now! But Thank You, truly! I believe diagnostics to be of the utmost importance as well. Treating without knowing is a "shotgun method" at best... although, I think shotguns would most probably work better in most instances :LOL: