Couple of questions

Mbkemp

I am considering moving toward sponge filters. What would you do? Mattenburg? Tower? Basic sponge? What pump would you buy for two or three tanks?

I have room for a 29 or two tens. What would you do?

nkoyko

PRA All Star
I use a Mattenburg corner filter from Swiss Tropicals in my 20l. I absolutely LOVE it! Whenever I go to redo the 10g I'm putting one in it. I'm over the HOB and all the maintenance on it.

I don't really have a good multi pump suggestion since all of my tanks are in separate areas. I use the tetra pumps on the corner filter. @coralbandit swears NY Alita for multi tank pumps.

Size of tank depends on what you want.

coralbandit

I use regular aquatop type sponges ,but also did buy the sponge set up from Swiss Tropics, l just never set it up...You need a dry tank to silicone in the glass holders...
I do swear by Alitas..I use the 15a to run my entire fish room. There is only one model smaller the 6a, which I know would be fine for you.
Don't be fooled by the lower price of others like the Eco or Coralife luft..I have had them both and they ARE way louder and no where near as powerful..
It is almost time for the DPG sale also when it comes to getting those tanks...

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
I as well use aquatop sponges & some hydor sponges. I also am sold on the alita pump. I will be using 1 alita AL60 to run my whole fiah room. @coralbandit is right... Dont be fooled by the cheaper pump options. I know of many alita users now that are10-20yrs in with 0 issues. I Cant say that about any other brand ive seen in use.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Im sure you already know this but, if you go 2 tens then use a sponge rated for 30g. You almost always want the filtration to be 3x the amlunt of tank size. For my 40b i use [email protected] aquatop sponges to equal 120g of filtration per hour. And if you use 2 or more you can alternate which ones you clean and not worry about your beneficial bacteria being overcleaned.

Hey everyone I have not been on the forum in a while but I plan on that changing. I just set-up a rack with 18x 10 gallons and I got an Alita AL-60 running the typical two barrel filters off an 18 valve manifold. I just got the sponges and air pump all hooked up and man does that thing throw some bubbles. For only 18 tanks it may be overkill, I plan on making a PVC loop system in the future but for now I am just running tons of tubing, should I somehow add a bleeder as I don't want the back pressure to wear out the pump prematurely?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Hey everyone I have not been on the forum in a while but I plan on that changing. I just set-up a rack with 18x 10 gallons and I got an Alita AL-60 running the typical two barrel filters off an 18 valve manifold. I just got the sponges and air pump all hooked up and man does that thing throw some bubbles. For only 18 tanks it may be overkill, I plan on making a PVC loop system in the future but for now I am just running tons of tubing, should I somehow add a bleeder as I don't want the back pressure to wear out the pump prematurely?
I would add a bleeder. I use an alita to run my whole system. Which is a lot of filters & tanks. Bleed rather heavily. And keep an eye on its temp. If its getting too hot, bleed some more.

I could only find an 18 valve manifold which seemed perfect at the time since I had 18 tanks to filter but I am going to have to do something to bleed this AL-60 because it was getting really hot last night so I pulled the plug until I heard back from you guys on ideas, any guidance is always appreciated my friends.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
I could only find an 18 valve manifold which seemed perfect at the time since I had 18 tanks to filter but I am going to have to do something to bleed this AL-60 because it was getting really hot last night so I pulled the plug until I heard back from you guys on ideas, any guidance is always appreciated my friends.
Run a splitter valve from one of the 18 lines and use 1 to bleed from splitter. If you add a few dual valve splitters you can double your capacity to 36 lines.

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Heck get 4 way airline splitters and go to 64 capacity. Lol.