Chemi-Pure Elite vs Purigen or Neither One

The Rover

Just wondering if anyone out there has a preference of one over the other for chemical filtration or are they both unnecessary and just good old fashioned activated carbon does the job just as well.

Thanks and looking forward to some of the experts weighing in!

Tmrc exotics

Staff member
I run purigen in many of my tanks, i want to try chemipure soon. While not a requirement I find it super useful in high bioload tanks where I can't keep plants due to inhabitants. Its also a little different than carbon, although the exact makeup and workings of atleast purigen are very tight lipped, i haven't looked into chemipures makeup but id bet info is limited as well.

The Rover

I run purigen in many of my tanks, i want to try chemipure soon. While not a requirement I find it super useful in high bioload tanks where I can't keep plants due to inhabitants. Its also a little different than carbon, although the exact makeup and workings of atleast purigen are very tight lipped, i haven't looked into chemipures makeup but id bet info is limited as well.
Thanks, I was looking at the claims made by Boyd on the Chemi-Pure Elite and it's pretty interesting that they claim all of the following:

THE BENEFITS OF USING CHEMIPURE ELITE:

• Keeps pH stable and constant
  • Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
  • Keeps aquariums crystal clear
  • Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
  • Filters out phosphates (PO4) and silicates (SIO2)
  • Reduces nuisance algae
  • Removes dissolved organics
  • Helps fish have a better appetite
  • Eliminates osmotic shock
  • Increases fish life span
  • Filters out coppers, metals, odors and phenol
  • Prevents ion antagonism
  • Lasts up to 4 months
  • Available in several sizes
How is able to keep pH stable and constant? Does that mean it's some kind of kH buffer??? It makes a lot more claims then Purigen does so I'm intrigued but I've also been told that neither is really necessary so I've just stuck with Purigen since I already had a few bags. I don't regenerate them as I'm not comfortable putting something in my filter that's been soaked in bleach...makes me nervous so I've just put a new one in each time.

But if all of this is true then this looks like a great product, but I'm suspicious about all of the claims so I was trying to find someone who has used both and if there is a noticeable difference.

toolman

Pro Recruiter
Following along, as @Tmrc exotics does I use Purigenin all my tanks. I regenerate mine as per the directions without issue. I mainly use mine because it clears up tannins fom my driftwood and keeps the tank clearer.

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
I plan to follow along too, out of curiosity. I don't use any of these products, and have zero chemical filtration in all of my tanks. I think I have some carbon is a drawer somewhere.
I'm curious to see what benefits people see from these products.

tyguy37167

following along

The Rover

Well, we have a lot of folks following along so we need some expert opinions and actual users to share their thoughts...Seems as though there is interest in the value of chemical filtration and in these particular products.

I learned that Boyd has Chemi Pure Blue, which is supposed to be Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite combined, which adds an interesting twist. Other forums I've researched has folks using both Purigen and Chemi Pure in their filters. Seems like overkill to me but I'm open to the idea that there would be a need for that much chemical filtration. Maybe for an overstocked tank, this would make sense?

Discusluv

I used Chemi-pure for diatoms as someone had suggested it as a solution. It seemed to have helped, but, I noticed that I had more green-spot ( that really hard to get rid of algae on glass) after using it.