Can this be a fish food?

Kenny777

I always been into live feeding and im wondering if fish are able to eat Mealworms, wax worms, super worms and crickets? Or maybe the worms at walmart? I usually feed flakes, mysis shrimp, algae wafers and baby dried shrimp but i would like to do a wide variety including live, i also plan on feeding frozen bloodworms as well.

Andy Sager

I always been into live feeding and im wondering if fish are able to eat Mealworms, wax worms, super worms and crickets? Or maybe the worms at walmart? I usually feed flakes, mysis shrimp, algae wafers and baby dried shrimp but i would like to do a wide variety including live, i also plan on feeding frozen bloodworms as well.
Depends on the fish you are feeding. I've fed many of these to my larger cichlids but if you use them for smaller fish that need to pick them apart, they will mess with your filter's ability to keep the water clean. But if they can swallow whole, not an issue. ( But I'd be wary of worms from wally world. :whistle: Even the fishing worms have been known to have issue I've been told. Best to collect them yourself. (y) )

Kenny777

Depends on the fish you are feeding. I've fed many of these to my larger cichlids but if you use them for smaller fish that need to pick them apart, they will mess with your filter's ability to keep the water clean. But if they can swallow whole, not an issue. ( But I'd be wary of worms from wally world. :whistle: Even the fishing worms have been known to have issue I've been told. Best to collect them yourself. (y) )
Okay thanks! I was planning to cut them up and feed them to my community! I may be able to provide a second filter if needed, will the wax, meal or super worms exo skeleton be a problem for the fish capability of chewing them?

Andy Sager

Okay thanks! I was planning to cut them up and feed them to my community! I may be able to provide a second filter if needed, will the wax, meal or super worms exo skeleton be a problem for the fish capability of chewing them?
Small fish Yes, Large fish , No. Just an FYI: if you need to chop them up for your fish to eat them, you would be better off using other smaller natural foods. Much cleaner, less work for you and the fish will consume the food in whole. Small fish will usually only eat the insides of the bugs or worms and leave the harder exoskeleton. Larger fish eat the whole thing and pass through what is remaining of the skeleton.

Kenny777

Small fish Yes, Large fish , No. Just an FYI: if you need to chop them up for your fish to eat them, you would be better off using other smaller natural foods. Much cleaner, less work for you and the fish will consume the food in whole. Small fish will usually only eat the insides of the bugs or worms and leave the harder exoskeleton. Larger fish eat the whole thing and pass through what is remaining of the skeleton.
Ah okay, so should i just feed non live food then?

Andy Sager

Ah okay, so should i just feed non live food then?
That's not what I said. If you want to feed live foods, I just suggest feeding the correct live foods for the size of your fish. Just because a fish eats something in nature does not mean it should be fed in a tank. My large Oscars used to eat nightcrawlers I would collect in the yard but my Angelfish just made a mess in the tank with the pieces I fed them. My Oscars couldn't eat a single tubifex worm ( because it was to small to find them) but my Angels ate them vigorously. So I fed my Oscars large worm species and my Angels small worm species. That's what I mean by the right food for the right fish. (y)

Kenny777

That's not what I said. If you want to feed live foods, I just suggest feeding the correct live foods for the size of your fish. Just because a fish eats something in nature does not mean it should be fed in a tank. My large Oscars used to eat nightcrawlers I would collect in the yard but my Angelfish just made a mess in the tank with the pieces I fed them. My Oscars couldn't eat a single tubifex worm ( because it was to small to find them) but my Angels ate them vigorously. So I fed my Oscars large worm species and my Angels small worm species. That's what I mean by the right food for the right fish. (y)
Oh okay! Thank you for the help!!!

LadyMac

PRA All Star
There are many live foods you can culture depending on the size of the fish. Grindal worms, confused flour beetles, wingless fruit flies.