Brookster is getting real... round... these days

Discusluv

That sword was basically a gift from uncle neds. It's exactly what I was looking for. Set it in iron clay powder, osmocote plus and sand. Under the last of the best leds ever made!;)
How i wish i was close to this store! He just got in a huge order of African fish. I contacted him on one of the rarer tetras he got in and he put in big letters I HATE SHIPPING IN THE WINTER! But, if I must...
LOL! :) I just laughed and said I wont make you then.
Ill see if he gets them in again when weather gets warm. :)

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Very Nice. I reslly like the golden checks.

Lightning and thunder can really freak out a fish. :eek: I had Oscars near a window when I lived in NJ and they would react to every vibration. Even closing the shade wasn't enough. Play your fish some soothing music during the storms to keep them calm. ;) ;) (y)

Brookster123

Resident nuisance/moderator
Staff member
Lightning and thunder can really freak out a fish. :eek: I had Oscars near a window when I lived in NJ and they would react to every vibration. Even closing the shade wasn't enough. Play your fish some soothing music during the storms to keep them calm. ;);)(y)
I edited out the lullabies and sweet nothing's in the background of video ;)

Do you intend to keep them in a bare bottom tank? I can't provide the time to grow out juveniles, but I'd like a group in my 265 which will be heavily planted. Would twice weekly water changes of 30-40% keep them happy? You Turqouise Discus are stunning. They are exactly what I would want

Brookster123

Staff member
Do you intend to keep them in a bare bottom tank? I can't provide the time to grow out juveniles, but I'd like a group in my 265 which will be heavily planted. Would twice weekly water changes of 30-40% keep them happy? You Turqouise Discus are stunning. They are exactly what I would want
No, setting up a 135 with 40b sump in the next month or. If you buy 5" quality fish they should do fine with thay routine. I bought small fish and grew them out so bb made the most sense. I'm ready for sand and more plants now:)

No, setting up a 135 with 40b sump in the next month or. If you buy 5" quality fish they should do fine with thay routine. I bought small fish and grew them out so bb made the most sense. I'm ready for sand and more plants now:)
That's going to be awesome!! Is there anything that may not he obvious in caring for Discus in a planted tank that you can think of? Minimum school size? I was going to keep C02 low at about 20ppm and do half SO. Mostly ferns anubias, maybe crypts and Buce if I can find a definate answer as to what will do well at a constant 86*. I think that precludes most mosses. What plants are planning on using?

Brookster123

Staff member
That's going to be awesome!! Is there anything that may not he obvious in caring for Discus in a planted tank that you can think of? Minimum school size? I was going to keep C02 low at about 20ppm and do half SO. Mostly ferns anubias, maybe crypts and Buce if I can find a definate answer as to what will do well at a constant 86*. I think that precludes most mosses. What plants are planning on using?
I don't really know man? This is my first run and as much research and time spent on prep I do always bounce plans off poppa ryno. He has no issue saying "that is not going to work". I have kept rams in my high tech 30 for years, they usually last about 6-8 months. I think less is more with rams and discuss. Less crap and more water changes haha. I plan on using the same plants i have in the 90, I would like to avoid dosing the water column entirely and focus ferts in substrate only. Jungle Val and the huge sword. Maybe some java fern tied to wood. They stage under the sword, it's their safe space. I am no expert but I feel 50% of the battle is keeping them calm and comfortable, they show stress like no other fish I've kept, blatantly obvious when theyre having a bad day. Under a bright light offering enough shade for the group seems paramount. @The Dude 8 disc would be a good start imo. Find a reputable source and dig up that coffee can of cash your grandfather burried under the willow tree;)