Book review: Aquarium Plants Guide 2015/16

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
By Stefan Hummel & Chris Lukhaup

This book is put out by Dennerle. Dennerle is Europe's biggest plant supplier. This book came from Amazon. Cost was $7.76 plus $7.50 shipping and was shipping from United Kingdom.

This book is great! It has a breakdown of each plant describing it's needs and growing conditions. They also make awesome planted tank videos!
Momma Echo ordered this and she picked a good one! I'll follow up with pics as soon they load.

TigerTerror

Staff member
By Stefan Hummel & Chris Lukhaup

This book is put out by Dennerle. Dennerle is Europe's biggest plant supplier. This book came from Amazon. Cost was $7.76 plus $7.50 shipping and was shipping from United Kingdom.

This book is great! It has a breakdown of each plant describing it's needs and growing conditions. They also make awesome planted tank videos!
Momma Echo ordered this and she picked a good one! I'll follow up with pics as soon they load.
Digital download available?

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Great stuff, Brenna! I will get a book review section created this evening.

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
Yeah it even gives mockups for various sized tanks. Their planted tank videos are good, I couldn't replicate, all high end equipment etc and narrated in a very easy to understand British accent.

GreenGo

I have a lot of books and access to more if you all are interested in seeing more reviews. Kinds did this one in a hurry.
Yes please! :D

fish wrangler

So I sorta broke down and bought this book after reading this review. I have to say I'm impressed with it, but not happy about somethings. In the plant species area I would have like to see the common name listed with the scientific name.

Brenna

Stalking you silently
Staff member
So I sorta broke down and bought this book after reading this review. I have to say I'm impressed with it, but not happy about somethings. In the plant species area I would have like to see the common name listed with the scientific name.
Thank you for adding that to this thread. That's something I didn't even think about.

Gillie

Chronic enabler
The only issue with common names is that most US trade names differ from those overseas so it could get confusing.

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
Things go really wrong with common names, which is a problem. Even within the US and Canada, I see the same species sold under a number of names, or even worse, the same name used repeatedly for different species. I give up on common names. They add to confusion.
I may be more sensitive to it because I live in a place where we speak two languages, and that really complicates common names. It' s easier to communicate across cultures with the Latin, no one's language.

toolman

Pro Recruiter
It has a section on biotopes, anatomy of plants, their commercial production of the plants, moss, tropical jungle in miniature, floating plants, terrarium plants, aquascaping, danish syle aquariums,nano cubesb wood &stone, planting, pruning, maintenance, plant fertilization, and algae.

The section on each species includes a picture, scientific name, native area, area of aquarium and height, light and temperature requirements, growth rate, ph, hardness, co2, and propogation. Brennas post #4 in this thread shows a pic of the individual plant descriptions.

As with any basic reference the information is sometimes brief, but there is a lot of information to get started on your research of any plants or ecosystem and basic information for those beginning to keep plants or an experienced aquarist wanting a quick reference book.

tfreema

This is pretty awesome. I will definitely look for this one. I agree that using the common names lends to confusion. It is also confusing to me when someone recommends something like "crypts." I mean, do you have any idea how many different species are commonly called crypts?