Betta enisae Biotope Build

LadyMac

PRA All Star
Painting sand isn’t too hard really. You just need to use the tip of the brush. Use lighter color in spots of where light would hit and darker for shadows. Easy peasy.

LadyMac

PRA All Star
They're both 40 breeders. Well, the new one is a Visio so they say it's a 40 Regular but really it's a breeder size LOL. But it comes with a lid, which was a huge part of the issue. I couldn't find a lid for the aqueon 40 breeder >.>
Where did you get yours from? The new one. How much was it?

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Where did you get yours from? The new one. How much was it?
It's from a local store called Pet Kingdom (the store with the great puffers). It was $96.85 for the tank and lid combo. The Aqueon 40b costs more at my local Petco and doesn't come with a lid LOL. I had to do it.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Petco is the only place where I found lids for Aqueon 40 breeders.
I asked Aqueon and they said they didn't make one. Then I asked my local Petcos and they have never seen lids for the 40 breeder.

Either way, the current 40b is destined to be a reef tank since it's already plumbed, so I'm not upset about having to get another one... :whistle: lol

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
It really is irrelevant though LOL. I got a better tank for the same price, it came with a lid, and I needed to switch the bettas out of the current 40 anyway because they kept escaping into the sump.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member

Well, hindsight is 20/20. Next time I won't use such a light paint on the top (bottom) layer unless I do drybrushing. But, I think that once it's planted and such it'll blend a lot better.

@OnTheFly here is the pic you asked for. Your wife could do it better. So could @LadyMac LOL. But still, this was my afternoon.

Last edited:

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Pics now that the water has cleared :D :D :D

I'll try to get some of the loaches later, there was only one this morning and he was camped out under leaf with only his tail showing.

OnTheFly

I missed your background painting until just now. That's not so bad. And it was your first attempt. No chance I would have even tried it on my own.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
Update, and i'll have to get pics.

I lost one P. semicincta. Looks like it just didn't adjust well to the new tank. The other 6 are doing great.

I've occasionally seen some of the licorice gouramis, so I think that all if not most of them are doing okay. They are shy little creatures though. I may move some, if not all, of them to another tank if one opens up in the fishroom so I might see them a little more often. Good news is, they don't seem afraid of the larger bettas and do still come out when I feed. I've seen them nibbling on fallen bits of brine shrimp.