Bass rearing pond

Planning on setting up a pretty basic pond, planning it to be fairly large.

Thinking of getting some hybrid striped bass fingerlings and raising them from spring to fall, thenstocking them into a pond. Me and some fishing buddies have been managing a neighborhood pond that has been neglected and overrun with stunted bluegills. We have already stocked about 300 adult largemouth bass and some channel cats as well, and they are making a dent in the bluegill population. The HSB would just be for fun and variety, and they are very cheap around here. The pond would probably be around 7 feet in diameter. Any thoughts??

Last edited:

Poppa Ryno

Staff member
Following

Bpfish

I like this idea. Are you looking for ideas on how to build said pond? I have a few tricks up my sleeve and a couple years of professional pond building under my belt if you need advise on that.

Nils

I like the sound of this. Just make sure that the bass don't blow up the pond, as in mess up the system and animals already living there. Following!

fish wrangler

Check with the Department of Natural Resources to see if this is legal. If it's a public pond is probably illegal, if its a private pond you should be legal

I like the sound of this. Just make sure that the bass don't blow up the pond, as in mess up the system and animals already living there. Following!
I have researched, and a small population of hybrids alojg with the standard largemouth \cat population will not hurt, they will feed on smaller panfish, as there are no shad or silversides present. They won't really dent the bluegill population, and are more for the fishing aspect, as they are great fighters and fairly easy to catch once located

I like this idea. Are you looking for ideas on how to build said pond? I have a few tricks up my sleeve and a couple years of professional pond building under my belt if you need advise on that.
I am pretty sure I am gonna buy a form at this point. I have a low budget and found a 4x6 ft form for $25. But any advice would be appreciated!

Check with the Department of Natural Resources to see if this is legal. If it's a public pond is probably illegal, if its a private pond you should be legal
I am pretty sure it will be alright, the neighborhood association doesbtbdo anything about it, and it is pretty clear someone stocked it. The neighborhood doesn't really stock the pond and is letting it get crowded with stunted bluegills

Gillie

Chronic enabler
I have researched, and a small population of hybrids alojg with the standard largemouth \cat population will not hurt, they will feed on smaller panfish, as there are no shad or silversides present. They won't really dent the bluegill population, and are more for the fishing aspect, as they are great fighters and fairly easy to catch once located
Sunshine bass will be the easiest to catch, they're like aquatic ferrets and love anything shiny. If the water is clear enough definitely observe their feeding habits, it's a sight to see. I watch white bass feed on huge schools of minnows in the St. Clair river and completely forget that I'm fishing.

Sunshine bass will be the easiest to catch, they're like aquatic ferrets and love anything shiny. If the water is clear enough definitely observe their feeding habits, it's a sight to see. I watch white bass feed on huge schools of minnows in the St. Clair river and completely forget that I'm fishing.
Exactly why I want em. Easy to locate and catch. I have never caught em nor stocked em because small ones would surely get eaten in my favorite fishing impoundments (adult sunshines are so expensive!). But this would be my chance to buy cheap fingerlings and get them to a decent size before winter.

Here is the pond, if it works, this is what I'll get. $25 and comes with a pump. Smaller than planned, but I could still do 15 or so fish (thinking 10 HSB and 5 albino Channel cats). maybe some tilapia too for table fare.