60 Gallon Tank!

FishFlow

Boss say's it ok to fire up the 60 gallon! Woot!!

Need substrate suggestions. It currently has pool filter sand, and due to the past history of this tank, I will not be using pool filter sand from my area again in an attempt to eliminate any potential repeats.

The desire is pretty much same as before. Angels or Discus, and several schooling fish that are colorful. I like rummynose alot, and was suggested emperor tetras. If I'm lucky, I'd love some panda corys as well.

Plants. I would like some swords in there. Thinking a rubin, and ?? And I like jungle vals. I'd love to have those along the back again. So, I'm thinking I can get away with inert substrate and just supplement with root tabs. Full disclosure.. I prefer plants over fish, and honestly not sure how this tank won't be full of plants in 3 months..

This was a high tech tank at one time. So, I have co2 and some nice lights for it. Not sure if I'm going down that road just yet for this tank.

I do not have tractor supply stores where I live ( Central Coast CA.) Blasting sand will cost too much to ship (last time I checked), no to pool filter sand. What am I left with that doesn't cost 2 arms and a leg?
I've sampled kitte litter and the so didn't like that last time we sampled that.

Maybe some sort of pea gravel? (rice gravel ?? haha)

toolman

Pro Recruiter
What problems did you have with pfs, I use it since I have a pool and always have it on hand? Not arguing, just curious as I have several planted tanks and keep mostly live bearers in my midwestern liquid rock water. Lol

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
@FishFlow I'm assuming you have a Home Depot within driving distance? You can fill all of your substrate needs there. Some potting soil or Saf-T-Sorb for your base layer, and QuickCrete playsand as a top. You'll probably want 2-3 bags of the playsand to make sure you can get a few inches above the potting soil.

In my 55 I'll probably do a single Amazon Sword mother plant (and whatever plantlets it produces), jungle val, pygmy chainsword and tonnina fluvitalis. Keeping it simple with just those and some driftwood.

You have more options since you can go high tech. But regardless of what you decide to do, you can't go wrong with a dirted tank ;)

toolman

Pro Recruiter
@junebug is probably right about the dirted tank, I've just been chicken to do one.
May have to try one the next time I start a new tank up.

junebug

Chune the Smiter
Staff member
@junebug is probably right about the dirted tank, I've just been chicken to do one.
May have to try one the next time I start a new tank up.
All of my tanks are dirted except one I literally forgot to put dirt in LOL. And my next three gallon won't be, because I'm going to use Amazonia clay in it. But, plants love dirt.

LadyMac

PRA All Star
Wes, Ben used the Saf T Sorb without a cap and you know how nice his jungle was. It’s a great substrate. I say go with the emperors. The males and females have different colored eyes. Males have blue and females, green. It’s lovely! Or is it reversed? Anyhow they are some nice shoalers and I never had any issues with fin nipping of the Angels I had.

GreenGo

I second the notion of Safe-T-Sorb. I've used it in some of my setups and it's good. I just have one word of caution: Make sure it's what you want. Once you put it in with a cap, it can be near impossible to remove without ruining said cap. That is, you won't be able to use it again in the same way.

Another option is Turface; it's $18 for 50 lbs. Here's a couple screenshots my friend captured who recommended it to me for my next dirted tank (once I use what I have on hand):

His professor (someone who also keeps a large number of planted tanks - Dr. Pavel Masek from Binghamton University (my friend says not to contact him since Dr. Pavel is so busy) - says the champion brown and heritage red is the most natural looking ones (so they aren't white ;) ). It's apparently what his professor recommended to my friend after he got to know him in person a bit, and now the professor is his planted tank mentor. Here's my friend's tank where he uses Turface as his substrate:

He just started injecting CO2, but trust me, it looks good! We skype often to run ideas past each other, and I helped him with the design of the tank prior to this (and he's already Skyped me about a redesign for this tank that I suggested a couple things to him).

Edit: here's a fts of his planted aquarium before the rescape, which is in progress:

I'll try to remember to go back and edit the pics so they're a bit nicer once I get back from running errands after I complete my water changes for the day if I have time. [Done :D ]

Last edited:

FishFlow

Wow. Thank you very much. Pictures and all. SWEEEET..

So, if I understand correctly, the pics appear to not have a cap. It's just the contents in the bag of turface? (No cap)

I like the looks. Thanks again!

And I have a local source. Not $18 dollar a bag though.. closer to $40 here.. :O

Last edited:

GreenGo

$40! Dang :whistle: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My friend said you can be fancy and add a half inch of dirt, but it's really not necessary. The mulm will become dirt eventually within the pores (that you can't vac up) and will feed the plants that way. Plus, with root tabs it should be Gucci anyways (y) [read: the Turface is the cap if you need one]

Not sure about the price where you're at, but here's a couple pics that may lean you the way towards buying it: (this is my friend's professor's tank that he helped aquascape)
Newly set up:

After a couple months:

Yes, that's just a couple months worth of growth :eek: :D I seriously want to try this myself, but I need to finish what I've got off first. Maybe it's not worth $40 to you (that IS a lot of money per bag), but if you can find it somewhere close by (but not so local) or can have it shipped cheaper it may be worth it (y)

GreenGo

Greengo, would you be able to what color turface that is (specifically) ?
Sorry, but no. My friend isn't sure. He also says it doesn't matter, which I asked him to elaborate on since I'm curious about what he means by that

GreenGo

We're not sure on the aesthetics, but my friend says they're both pretty much the same thing as far as the properties is concerned. I'd recommend getting a bag of each and seeing what it looks like underwater / wet. If you'd like, you may get away with mixing the two without it looking too bad. Sorry we can't be of more help, but if you do get a bag of each please take pics of what they look like so we can all be edumacated :)

GreenGo

Oh, and my friend told me you'll need to rinse the turface a LOT. It's a pretty big deal.

My friend also said you should give the soil formation a head start by adding a minimal layer of dirt under the Turface. As mentioned, it will accumulate organic matter that you can't get out by vacuuming anyhow. Giving it a head-start will do the same for your plants

FishFlow

Minor Update.

Decided to go with Fluorite. Local pet store stocked it and for 3 bags, it wasn't much more than the turf stuff. And it doesn't require "A LOT" of rinsing. :D (I've had to rinse alot before.)

It's not WHITE! Woot. I thought I'd need 4 bags, but 3 seems to be perfect. I'll rinse it out tonight, put a heater in and off to shop for fish tomorrow!!!

So far the stocking "plan" is:
Angelfish: 1-3. Hoping to find a pair.
Rummynose: 20
Emperor Tetras: 10
Corys 10
** Subject to change at a moments notice!

My LFS is closing this weekend, when I was there last weekend, the wife and I liked the angels they had. If they still have them, hoping to bring them home tomorrow. The other fish will have to be ordered, and in the future, as neither of my lfs had them. I might find some rummys at petxx.

AQ says this is dooable, please let me know your thoughts. Main conflict I foresee is momma & poppa angels and having anything else in the tank.. If a breeding pair does occur, I can fill up another tank and separate.

Plant Plans: I wish to have some plants, but attempt to keep is simple.
Val's. again, the more the merrier. Along the back.
Sword or two. Not sure about where to place it.

GreenGo

Glad you found some substrate! And I hear you on the rinsing a lot, haha. Rinsing sucks, lol

Sounds like it's coming together! Can't wait to see the unveiling when it's stocked!!

NightShade

Nice!!! I will be following along!! Cant wait to see it planted... I like plants just as much if not more than fish sometimes... I absolutely can't have a plant-less tank XD

Can you explain what that is in the corner? What type of filtration do you have going on with this? I am curious after seeing it! :)