The Planted Pond

Discussion in 'Ponds & Water Gardens' started by junebug, Jan 27, 2018.

1. junebug

junebug Well-Known Member

Hubby and I have a pond. I've been meaning to get pictures of it, and finally did today. Can't wait until spring when the dragonflies return!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just comet goldies and assorted gambusia in there right now. We're thinking of adding some loaches, and I will probably move some Japanese trapdoor snails in there for algae control when mine are a little bigger.

@Joe Bilotta maybe you have some recommendations on how to get all the algae and sludge out? We're not going to be able to drain it, and any treatments would need to be fish safe.

NightShade likes this.
  2. Joe Bilotta

Joe Bilotta Well-Known Member

Any aeration going?

The plants should out compete the algae looks like you have enough to me

NightShade likes this.
  3. FishFlow

FishFlow Active Member

Oh, I missed this. Have and specs on the pond setup? I so wish/want to put a big ole hole in my backyard..

NightShade likes this.
  4. junebug

Somehow I just saw this.

The bulk of the pond is full sun most of the day. The only aeration is from the waterfall, but it's quite a bit of aeration.

I'm going to put some japanese trapdoor snails in the pond soon because they are breeding in my tanks, and might put in a pleco that can take the occasional cold, or some other algae eating fish, but that isn't going to put much of a dent in the hair algae.

5. junebug

The pump is sumberged in a compartment on the opposite end from the waterfall. We debate over total gallonage LOL. Hubby thinks it's 800, I think it's more like 650. We'll never know because the turtles have knocked a bunch of rocks into it, making the bottom uneven. It really should have been redug, but he wasn't interested.