Nils' 20 Gallon Reef

Brookster123

Resident nuisance/moderator
Staff member
Jan 15, 2016
Bummer nills, you may need a fish trap, they're evasive little buggers Huh? Im not sure if it would work in a reef tank but with evasive fish in my past fw tanks, figure out where they sleep and scoop em up under the cover of darkness.

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Bummer nills, you may need a fish trap, they're evasive little buggers Huh? Im not sure if it would work in a reef tank but with evasive fish in my past fw tanks, figure out where they sleep and scoop em up under the cover of darkness.
He likes to hang out in the rocks at night it probably wouldn’t work thanks anyway

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
A quick update on this tank, everything is going awesome. I’ve gotten rid of all the algae, the water is super clear, corals look great and the fish are peaceful.
I think that it’s the combination of starting to use RO water again and dosing Vibrant that got rid of all the algae. There’s no signs of it anywhere, besides some brown algae on the glass every couple days.
Once I get rid of the damsel in here, just because it’s an aggressive fish, I want to add a couple of bangaii cardinals. I had one a long time ago in my first saltwater but it had some kind of parasites and didn’t last too long.
I’m also going to be looking to add a Duncan frag, frogspawn and more zoanthids in the next few months. Those were all some of my favorites from my previous reef.
Someone I know went to Florida this past week and brought me a couple of mangroves back that had washed up on the beach. Right now, I have them half in the water and half out, and one even has roots already. The other isn’t looking too good. I hope I’ll be able to grow them to a decent size. Wishing I still had a refugium right now.

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Had to pick up a goniopora frag they had at the LFS for $15 on Sunday, looked really good and is a bright green. It’s pretty small but I liked the one I had in the past a lot so hopefully it’ll be the same way. It hasn’t been fully extended yet but it’s coming out a lot more this morning than it was yesterday.

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Glad to see everything is going well for you! How are the mangroves doing?
One of them is looking decent and I think a leaf is coming, but I'm losing hope for the other one. It's all dry and losing it's green color.

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Just one growing out of a reef would be awesome! I hope it does well for you :)
Thanks I hope it does too!
I picked up a green clown goby and a fire fish goby today, $10 a piece. Good deal in my eyes. Acclimated them both for 2 hours and the fire fish goby disappeared somewhere into the rocks, but the clown goby found a spot already I think/hope. Still trying to get the damsel out, I was sooo close today it was in the net but darted out. I'll try again tomorrow

Miss TMRC

Jan 21, 2016
Easley, SC
Thanks I hope it does too!
I picked up a green clown goby and a fire fish goby today, $10 a piece. Good deal in my eyes. Acclimated them both for 2 hours and the fire fish goby disappeared somewhere into the rocks, but the clown goby found a spot already I think/hope. Still trying to get the damsel out, I was sooo close today it was in the net but darted out. I'll try again tomorrow
I miss my purple fire fish, he was cool. He always looked so grumpy lol. Not a bad deal on both of the gobys (y) pics soon plz :)

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I miss my purple fire fish, he was cool. He always looked so grumpy lol. Not a bad deal on both of the gobys (y) pics soon plz :)
Well, I actually found the fire fish dead this evening in front of the cave that he was hiding in. Not sure what the problem is, all parameters are in check. Other fish and critters are doing fine, including the new clown goby. This is the second new fish I've had die for no apparent reason in the past 2 months. Weird. He was a pretty little dude.

Brookster123

Staff member
Jan 15, 2016
Bad stock is.. Bad stock.. I've lost fish in absolutely perfect tanks. Tremendous tanks! Nah.. it's a thing man. Juiced fish.. call it what you will but some are already dead when they get bagged

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Bad stock is.. Bad stock.. I've lost fish in absolutely perfect tanks. Tremendous tanks! Nah.. it's a thing man. Juiced fish.. call it what you will but some are already dead when they get bagged
I guess I'll chalk it up to that. I'll give it a few weeks before I try something else again.

Miss TMRC

Jan 21, 2016
Easley, SC
Well, I actually found the fire fish dead this evening in front of the cave that he was hiding in. Not sure what the problem is, all parameters are in check. Other fish and critters are doing fine, including the new clown goby. This is the second new fish I've had die for no apparent reason in the past 2 months. Weird. He was a pretty little dude.
I hate that Nils, but like Alex said, poor stock is what it is. The best tanks cant fix an upbringing of bad environment

Nils

Jan 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Anyway, here’s pictures of the new goni I picked up last week.

And a FTS

Sorry for all the stuff in front of the tank Im a messy person.

Brookster123

Staff member
Jan 15, 2016
Hah!!!! Looks like a confetti cannon of aquarium supplies and stolen hotel towels went off in my fish room. That's clean bro.. tank looks splendid young one!