Never used a sump...

Discussion in 'Filtration (sumps, fuges, HOB, skimmers)' started by eggheadfish, Nov 24, 2017.

1. eggheadfish

eggheadfish Well-Known Member

Hey frands
    As I have a few more large tanks going up, I'm thinking about what can make my fish room more effective and easier to maintain.
    I have a commercial air pump I was planning on hooking up but have sumps in the back of my mind.

Here's the real question: can I use one sump for more than one tank without drilling anything? Or is that just stupid (speak freely). Like could I run a closed loop system from sump to tank to tank to tank to sump? I'm going to have an overstocked 110, a moderately stocked 125, and two very understocked planted 125 and 90. I guess sponges sound much easier.

I just figured if I could take advantage of balancing the understocked and overstocked then I could have increased water volume, take advantage of the plants as nitrate reducers since I can't have plants in some of the tanks, and have one single point of entry for water changes rather than doing each tank.

Thoughts?

Obv QT is absolutely necessary in this scenario and risks run higher.

discusbreeder, GreenGo and Poppa Ryno like this.
  2. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

Running multiple tanks off a single sump is how I have done many major installations as well as my home tanks so it can be done in a home environment as well. The size of the sump is determined by the number of tanks running from it. You need to take into consideration the volume of water that will be in the plumbing while so that you don't burn out your motors from overheating because there wasn't enough water in the running system. You also want to protect against overflowing if the system shuts off for any reason.

Yes, QT is a must under this type setup but I would go a step further and use an UV light on the return line so that nothing can spread if it makes it past the quarantine. There is nothing worse than having a single fish in one tank take out an entire system. :eek: It does happen. :( To prevent this, each tank drains separately into the common sump and one refill line fills all the tanks individually. The UV goes before the first tank getting filled.

As for the not drilling anything, that will all depend on the return pump you use. If it is self priming, you won't need to drill ( in most cases). If it's an underwater pump, you shouldn't need to drill. (You just need to make sure there is room in the sump for the pump. )

Hope this helps. (y)

discusbreeder and GreenGo like this.
  3. Poppa Ryno

Poppa Ryno Moderator
    Staff Member

I have honestly stopped any ideas of a multi tank sump system. Its a fiasco that can cause a whole collection to be infected. I am 100% air driven & I love it.

discusbreeder likes this.
  4. eggheadfish

Thanks Andy! So how would you "link" tanks then? Or would you have individual entry and exit points into the sump for each tank?

discusbreeder likes this.
  5. eggheadfish

Yeah seems easier, especially considering I have the pump already. Any giant sponges you recommend?

discusbreeder and Mbkemp like this.
  6. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

Poppa's example is exactly why a UV is used to prevent that from happening.
    As for hooking up the tanks, look at this pic of my Guppy rack Guppy Rack.jpg

Each tank drains separately into the tank on the floor ( my sump) and then, in my case, I used a power head to feed the return line ( the white piping on the right side and 2 horizontal pipes) which has valves to fill each tank independently. So, in essence, the entire system is one tank. In my case, I also installed a spigot in the return line so that when I wanted to change water, I just opened the spigot and the pump did all the work. :D What I am recommending to you is where I put the spigot ( in relation to the first tank being refilled), you install an UV unit so that anything that is coming from any one of the tanks into the sump, will be sterilized before it ever gets to any other tank. This is how you prevent disease spread over multiple tanks. You don't have any water from one tank go directly or unsterilized into another tank.
    As for drains from the tanks to the sump, if the tanks don't already have the hole drilled, there are siphon systems you can use that hang on the tank. There are Youtube videos on how to make them or I believe GreenGo posted one on his thread.

Hope this helps (y)

7. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

I would recommend mattenburg. I have one currentLy working. The amount of water moved is crazy and it seems pretty evenly distributed across the sponge

8. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Salterator
    Staff Member