Neolamprologus marunguensis

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
Dec 14, 2016
I thought I'd stopped keeping Lake Tanganyika Cichlids 25 years ago, but when a pair of N marunguensis became available to me, well, look at the luminous blue fin tips on this fish...

It was kind of hard to walk away from.
It's a deeper water cichlid that thrives in hard water, at a temperature range of 24-26c (75 to 79f). I keep mine in a 30 inch tank with no other fish, because I want to breed them. For some reason, I think there might be a demand.
And now, I have some. If you look closely at the algae in front of the Dad here, there is one little fry showing, from a group of about a dozen. The pair is young, and numbers should improve. As Cichlids go, however, these guys are not the most prolific.

They need caves to spawn in, ideally ones they can excavate. I prefer supports buried in the gravel, with flat rocks. It seems to work well for a lot of East African non mouthbrooding Cichlids.

I expect them to behave like the more common Neolamprologus brichardi, the "Burundi Princess Cichlid", for those who like English trade names. They build up large colonies with multiple broods co-existing. It's a lot of fun to watch them.
I hope I can look forward to that show - the first batch of fry have only been out for 2 days now. A year from now, I expect I will really have a fishwatching experience going.
To my eye, this is one of a small number of freshwater species that can hold its own, beauty-wise, with saltwater reef fish.

Andy Sager

Jan 30, 2016
WOW!!!! These could make me want to get back to keeping Tangs again. :mad: Nice pick up Nav (y)

Navigator Black

Some odd mod.
Staff member
Dec 14, 2016
Those are just 4 snapshots as they were guarding their territory, taken over 5 minutes this aft. They are easy to photograph as they are a photogenic creature. A real photographer could do amazing things with them.. They have a zone defense, and the fry seem to stay in the protected area. They are not as up close and active with fry as most riverine Cichlids are.

discusbreeder

Mar 4, 2017
Princeton, WV. 24740-3301
Nice fish Nav

When you get a surplus rattle my cage. I have never seen this on available before and have breed most o the neolamps. As the fry get larger, if they are like Brichardi or mustax, you will need small places the parents cannot get into from about a half inch until about an inch. The adults will attack them when they are small but after an inch they will help keep the nest. I also found single adults more likely to molest fry than juveniles. Good luck with them.

Larry