Mascot and Cheerleaders

Discussion in 'Hermits - Crabs' started by GreenGo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. GreenGo

GreenGo Well-Known Member

I'm seeing 81 or 82 F high to 79 or 78 F low in the Crab Room via my humidity and temp gauge. The aquarium temps have been stable at 27 C for a week or two (not great with chronological timestuffs, sorry :oops: ) without moving up or down from the little I measured at water change times, but now that you mention it, I have been working in there more often as of late, and the temps in AZ have been going up. Next week is supposed to cool down again with rains mid-week, so if the Crab Room continues to heat up I think that would indicate body heat more than anything else like sunlight through the window? :unsure: It would make sense, but I have no clue as to how resistant the room is to temp decreases. Temp rising may just be indicative of AZ weather heating up, something I hadn't considered so is throwing me for a loop.

The thing that really drives me crazy is there's one crab tank that was sitting at 27 C at the same time the two on either side of it were sitting at 28 C when I measured temps in the room. Not a problem for those crabs, but still :confused:

EDIT: not to mention, the new tanks I have running for my mysterious inhabitants are at 27 C, the tanks directly below are the ones mentioned above (28 C ; 27 C ; 28 C), and the ground where the bucket is seems to be even HOTTER at 29 C? Isn't heat supposed to rise??? :LOL: I have no freaking clue anymore (y) and these were all measured within MINUTES of each other, to make matters worse o_O

discusbreeder and Mbkemp like this.
  2. GreenGo

I would say it's the sun through the window, but this was after the sun mostly left my room (no direct sunlight in the room at that point). It could be that, but residual heat for how long was it? I think I'm going to have to set up a monitoring system with the new thermometers I got on my next day off that I have nothing to do (until evening at least).

discusbreeder likes this.
  3. GreenGo

@Tmrc exotics can you move my previous two posts and this one (and duplicate - or just move - the one about the powerhead temp swing) to a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum. Please title the thread "Crab Room Mysteries", because I'm going to start an investigation into this entire ordeal. I've been using my TDS meter to measure the temps of my tanks, and now I've set up the new thermometers one inch (or less) away from each other to measure their accuracy. I've been losing trust in thermometers as of late, and I'd like to put this entire thing to rest. Thank you.

P.S., it may just be my Aspergers, it may be that I'm legit crazy :whistle: or not very sane sometimes (known to happen lol), but regardless, I'd like to figure this out whatever it takes. My animals are too precious to lose, not because they're that wonderful or anything, but because it's my job to take care of them to the best that I can, and I take that responsibility very seriously (even when I have a headache and no clue what the heck could be happening).

4. GreenGo

Yep, I think this confirms it. My TDS meter is reading 3 degrees higher than it should. New crab tank is reading 25.0 C on both the new thermometers while the TDS meter reads the tank at 28 C. I think it's high time I stop measuring with the TDS meter. Both readings are taken within an inch of each other like usual. I also think it's time to get on properly heating my poor animals. And to think I never even knew, being ignorant that my TDS meter was the one slowly reading higher and higher, not the tanks themselves. :oops: Suffice it to say I'm not happy, but this will be rectified before moving on with any projects I have been working on.

5. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Salterator
    Staff Member

The power head generated the heat. Its not necessary to use the power head in the bucket at all until its time to mix the salt. You don't have a big enough volume to worry about the water just sitting. Your going to use it to quickly. So, throw in the salt, throw in the power head, mix it for an hour, pull the power head out, test temp, and throw in the tank.

GreenGo, discusbreeder and Mbkemp like this.
  6. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

Why are you measuring temp with a TDS Meter??

7. GreenGo

Because all my other thermometers are crap (even worse than the TDS meter; two measuring right next to each other can measure temp differences in excess of 5 degrees C)... Now I have better ones that I'm starting to use :D Considering getting a few hundred more for future tanks :p (j/k, maybe just ten realistically speaking. But who knows how many tanks and enclosures I'll have when all is said and done :eek: :sneaky: )

8. GreenGo

With the DSB, I know I'd like to go that route, but I have a question regarding the article you linked, Reefing.

It says to wait a couple weeks to add fish so the faunal populations in the substrate can grow and get to a minimal population. The article also states not to add animals that sift the substrate. Should I wait a couple weeks to add the crabs, and do they qualify as animals that sift the substrate?

9. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

The crabs don't sift through enough layers of the sand to mess up the sysem. Sand Sifting Starfish, and burrowing critters would be bad for that set up.
    If your using Fully Cured Live Rock, your good to go, the bacteria will grow itself in the DSB.

GreenGo and discusbreeder like this.
  10. discusbreeder

discusbreeder Well-Known Member

@Tmrc exotics, @GreenGo

Powerheads do produce heat, they are coils after all and coils produce heat. With a properly functioning powerhead the amount of heat is insignificant. Which leads us to the problem here, either your impeller armature is dragging or your unit is due for the scrap heap. If at any time the unit has been run dry the housing may be distorted and restricting the free turning of the armature, there can be sand in the housing or built up salts, or it can be from biological slime. Anything that restricts the free rotation of the armature causes an increase in load which creates more heat. In addition as units age the winding insulation deteriorates which causes circuit crossover and generates additional heat. If the unit is warm when it is running then try cleaning it thoroughly and re-start it, if it is still warm 86 it and get a new unit.

Larry

GreenGo and Mbkemp like this.
  11. Tmrc exotics

Tmrc exotics Moderator
    Staff Member

Powerheads do generate heat, @discusbreeder, i dont think thats what's happening here, i think faulty temp reads are to blame.

Edit to add: salt is hard on stuff though, it shortens the life on things significantly.

GreenGo likes this.
  12. GreenGo

Running the tank with HOB filter to flush the filter of everything that could raise TDS before I add the salt mix. It's just RODI water in the tank for now, and I'll probably have to drain it and discard this water before adding sand, adding live rock, making saltwater along the way whilst filling it up, and finally (FIN-ALLY) adding the crabs! :D :love:

Reefing Madness and Mbkemp like this.
  13. GreenGo

Due to pursuing a business opportunity that I decided wasn't for me, stocking this tank will have to wait until next month. I need to pay off the Lyft rides that I got to a few events, and that's cut into the budget for this quite a bit.

Mbkemp likes this.