I have Camallanus worms

Discussion in 'Sickness and Diseases' started by Mbkemp, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

This has been a high tech aquarium. I turned the gas off and the lights down today. Eco complete substrate, lots of books and crannies. I am going to pull most of the plants in the middle so I can vacuum deep in the morning. I might even take a bunch of substrate out. I’m going to have too anyway to move it in a month

I’ve learned a bunch with this aquarium. Part two will be a Leopoldi tank, a Ram tank, and Endlers and Neo’s I think I am going to get a 40b for plants and do a bunch of sparkling gourami with small fish around them, and cory’s

So far, lost one Ram, one more is no beuno but still eating, the rest are still skittish but appear to be ok

2. NightShade

NightShade Well-Known Member

I hope you can get them cleared up Mike!! They are one of my worst fears :(

I was curious what book this is that you have (that Andy recommended)? I've been lucky so far, but would like to have a reference book! :) Thanks!

Mbkemp and GreenGo like this.
  3. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Fish-Diseases-Dieter-Untergasser/dp/0866227032
    Best for diagnosing (y) the price seems to really fluctuate on Amazon. I've seen it from this $1.75 to over $30.00. You don;t have to get new but make sure you get one that has good pics and the writing is not all smudged. (y)

Mbkemp likes this.
  4. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

New question

After I dosed levimisole the first time I waited and then pulled a bunch of substrate out, vacuumed and moved on. I re dosed Friday and am preparing to do another water change, substrate vacuum and removal

I am removing substrate as I go because I am moving soon and it has to come out at some point

So. I have a bucket full of substrate that has been in the garage. The very bottom of the bucket is frozen. This substrate is full of worms. Red fing worms! They look like earthworms. Some are up to two inches long and very skinny. What the heck is going on in my bucket?

5. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

6. GreenGo

GreenGo Well-Known Member

The pic is blurry, but those do resemble earthworms. Is there any chance they could be Red Wigglers?

7. Andy Sager

I'm with GG, the pic is just blurry. But because you have so many plants, they probably came in with some of them. On a personal note, I am not a fan of having any kind of living worm in aquaria so sterilizing your gravel before replacing it back into the tank after the move is how I would handle this. Plants in the future should be cleansed of anything live prior to adding to your tank.

Mbkemp and GreenGo like this.
  8. GreenGo

GreenGo Well-Known Member

I'd recommend an alum dip for plants. I've left plants in an alum dip for a week with no ill effects. Try that with anything else. :eek: (n) (really, don't try it. it'll probably end up killing your plants.)

9. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

These suckers are thermonuclear. It has been below 20 degrees in the garage.

I hear ya.

tunamanphd likes this.
  10. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

Do you think potassium permagrate would smoke em?

11. Andy Sager

It should but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, Bleach will. (y) (y) ;)

Mbkemp likes this.
  12. FishFlow

FishFlow Active Member

Andy, would you mind giving your reasons for not wanting any kind of worm in aquaria?

13. Andy Sager

Because they can carry disease. They don't have to be sick but can be the carriers. Read this: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=PRP18800911.2.36

It's also why I am always suspicious of snails. many parasites use them as intermediate hosts. So the snail is eaten by a fish, the fish is eaten by a bird, the bird poops and the parasite becomes active. The active parasite finds a snail and the cycle is repeated.

14. FishFlow

FishFlow Active Member

Ok, that was kewl. an article from 1880.

15. Andy Sager

Just think they knew all about sick worms all those years ago. ;) :LOL:

Mbkemp likes this.