Graphite Disease?

Discussion in 'Sickness and Diseases' started by AlliSten, Feb 12, 2018.

1. AlliSten

AlliSten Member

i saw Graphite Disease mentioned in another forum. Does anyone know for sure what this is? Some say it is a mycobacterium and some say it is a form of columnaris. I found conflicting info online. Just curious as to what everyone else has heard or not heard about it.

Poppa Ryno and toolman like this.
  2. discusbreeder

discusbreeder Well-Known Member

What was referred to as graphite disease seems to be a colorful name for Oodium. It is not a columnaris form and is fatal if not treated. There has in the past ben a long slow process with Oodium infestations but there are a couple of new more virulent strains.

Larry

Poppa Ryno, toolman and AlliSten like this.
  3. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

Oh geez, the last thing the hobby needs is a more virulent strain of oodinium. :eek: It kills quick enough without the high octane strains. :eek: :eek:

Poppa Ryno, toolman and AlliSten like this.
  4. AlliSten

AlliSten Member

Oodinum is velvet right? An external parasite?

I just wanted to know, if I needed to be aware of some new incurable contagious disease, wiping out all of the East Coast PetCo population lol

Especially since I live in Washington State. I mean it is right next door lol

Poppa Ryno and toolman like this.
  5. toolman

toolman Well-Known Member
    Pro Recruiter

I read that thread also, Thanks for the info @discusbreeder & @Andy Sager. Great to be on a forum with someone to answer these questions factually.

Poppa Ryno, AlliSten and Andy Sager like this.
  6. Andy Sager

Velvet is only one type of oodinium. What's interesting about velvet, to me at least, is that it uses light to get that golden color unlike other forms. If I had to choose from all the oodinium types, I'd want velvet because it is easier to cure. In some types, from diagnosis to death is a day. That is how fast it can kill. ( especially in some marine fish.) :eek:

toolman, Poppa Ryno and AlliSten like this.
  7. Andy Sager

I hate to sound like a broken record but this is yet another reason everyone NEEDS to use QT for EVERYTHING!!!!! :(

8. AlliSten

AlliSten Member

Yes!! I always QT new fish. Although my 10g QT tank was recently converted into a nano tank lol. I need to pick up another 10g at Walmart as my backup. I have no plans for any new fish at the moment though. Everything is fully stocked.

Thanks for all the help Andy. I do appreciate it. So glad I asked about it

toolman likes this.
  9. Andy Sager

If you don't plan on new fish, why not wait for the $/gallon sale and save yourself $5.00 :whistle: ;)

AlliSten and toolman like this.
  10. FishFlow

FishFlow Active Member

does PRA have a QT thread? Quick, down dirty requirements for a QT and what to do ? Then ya can just link to that everytime. :D Cuz I've heard it said several times now, and I'd like to know more about it.

11. Andy Sager

I believe I have posted before the difference between a QT tank and a hospital tank. I have been met with resistance about it because an article on the internet said it causes more problems than cures. My only question then is : WHY do all zoos and public aquariums use them specifically before adding livestock to their display tanks and habitats? If the animals are healthy for the hobby, they should be for them too. No? :whistle:

Mbkemp, toolman and Poppa Ryno like this.
  12. AlliSten

AlliSten Member

I just use a 10g tank with a cycled sponge filter, that I rotate from the big tank to the QT tank. Toss them at the end of the QT. I do 4 weeks. Only use 1 med, that is PraziPro. Because soooo many fish come with parasites. And it is a very gentle, mild med. otherwise I watch and wait. After 4 weeks I move to the main tank. Nothing too difficult about it.

toolman likes this.
  13. Andy Sager

I think if we don't, one needs to be put up. Here's why:
    I just read the following which was posted by an administrator on another site. I saw it and almost had a heart attack. I thought this person knew better. :(
    "Since you can't keep beneficial bacteria going in a QT tank, daily water changes are needed to manage ammonia levels. Things like prime aren't effective as they will only make the ammonia non-toxic...but if it then is turned into nitrite it is back to being toxic to fish again."
    Now, to be clear, this statement was in a marine fish thread but it doesn't matter because it applies to both fresh and salt. It starts with just wrong/ bad information (that I highlighted.) You can't keep beneficial bacteria in a HOSPITAL tank ( due to the medications) but it is absolutely necessary to have in a QUARANTINE tank. Quarantine needs to be for a length of time that far exceeds the normal cycling period. And while I am at it, do I also need to explain what a cycled tank really means?

Based on information of the past ( and I believe still confirmed in the present) There are parasites( certain strains of marine oodinium for example) that have a 6-8+ week life cycle ( re Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases by Edward Kingsford, MD) so even a 4 week QT is not long enough to be 100% sure. New "superbugs" can easily, I've been told, can have these longer life cycles as well as resistance to "mild meds." I'm not saying that you automatically go for the "big guns" when medicating but you are playing Russian Rhoulette when you hurry the process. Speed kills and patience pays. ;) (y)

AlliSten, toolman and Mbkemp like this.