Custom Water

Discussion in 'Starting Out, Equipment & Setup' started by GreenGo, Feb 4, 2018.

1. junebug

junebug Well-Known Member

If the animals are already doing well in tap, wouldn't it be easier to just leave them on tap? Once they've acclimated, that is. Normally when we use RO water, the transition is done because we want to change at least one parameter compared to our tap water, and usually, it's more than one.

I switched to RO for some of my tanks because my tap water is too hard and alkaline with too high of pH for some of my fish. If you're going to be doing the same, I'd recommend doing a series of small water changes with straight RO until the desired parameters are achieved. Then you can just maintain by premixing your RO.

GreenGo likes this.
  2. GreenGo

GreenGo Well-Known Member

Very true @junebug . I want greater control of the parameters in case I can't get the PMCs to breed when I get females, and having them in custom water would be easier to slightly change parameters to see if that helps survival or breeding success.

Also, right now the Safe "prevents" me from using my water change water for vegetables and other food crops (as I'm not sure there's not known carcinogens mixed in their formula that makes it a very bad idea to consume food grown in conjunction with the Safe), but using RODI water (or RO water) would allow me to water crops without concerning myself over it (and without needing to use Carbon to remove Chlorine from my tap, which takes a while and needs replacing possibly more often than the cartridges that go with my RODI unit). The only concern I do have with using RODI is the DI resin isn't "food grade", but without knowing more I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Safe would be, and if what could be in the resin would be rendered safe via the aquarium ecosystem I always try to maintain in each tank and system.

Personally, I'm simply trying to take my sustainability aspect to OVER 9000! :p for my business (which is one crucial thing about my business, being sustainable, and I legit waste WAY too much water trying to adjust the temp with the sink to the tank). So the issue is multifaceted, but that's the just of it all. :)
    • Better control over parameters to dial in breeding of my animals.
    • More sustainable (quite possibly less "waste[d]" water with RODI vs using tap from the kitchen sink).
    • Better reusing possibilities.
    I could do things slightly differently with a couple of these reasons, but with all three tied together i think using RODI water is the way to go

3. junebug

junebug Well-Known Member

If you'd prefer to use tap water and also want to use it for food growth, your best bet is to aerate your water for at least 48 hours prior to use.

RO would solve that problem, though ;) I would just start doing changes with RO water for now.