Brookster is getting real salty these days

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater' started by Brookster123, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tmrc exotics

Tmrc exotics Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking good b.

discusbreeder likes this.
  2. Brookster123

Brookster123 Resident nuisance/moderator
    Staff Member

Only with blue channel, daylight and you'd puke hahah

3. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

One of the things people don't seem to realize with reefs is that in nature, algae is a huge problem but reefs harbor algae eaters to keep the balance. Tangs, Gobies, Angels, Urchins, Snails, Crabs, Shrimps, etc all play a HUGE roll in keeping corals alive. So if we do not keep algae consumers in the reef tank, it will be an uphill battle all the time. If you don't want the work or expense to keep algae down, it may be time to rethink the tank.
    That said, a reef tank that has a good balance of algae producers and algae consumers can be a really beautiful tank to sit back and watch. The issue becomes tank size. So many corals that can be bought as "frags" can grow to huge sizes making them a lot of work to keep trimmed in a smaller tank. Corals also kill corals so that adds another wrinkle in the plan.
    Bottom line, reef tanks take work to keep going. Much more than fish tanks. If you are up to the task, you are now more informed. (y)

4. Brookster123

Staff Member

If love to throw a yellow tang in but it'd be irresponsible, may try a seahare..

5. Andy Sager

You'd probably be better off (IMO) with snails and urchins than a sea hare. The hares get large and knock things over more so than the snails or urchins would.
    And FYI, small mouthed Tangs ( ie Yellows, Scopas, Sailfins, etc) are not your major algae eaters. Large mouthed Tangs like Chevrons, Koles, Tominies and the like consume much more algae per day than the small mouthed species. They are like the plecostomus of the seas. :LOL: (y)

6. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Salterator
    Staff Member

I have absolutely no snails or crabs of any kind in my tank. Its all about water quality. I also don't run a Sump with macro algae, I dose Vodka for Nitrate control and SeaKlear for Phosphate control. Look at my tank shots, I don't have an algae problem.

7. Andy Sager

So you do extra work with an added expense to prevent algae from growing. I believe I mentioned this type of thing in my response. ;) What you do would not be necessary if you had algae consumers in the tank. ( There's more than one way to keep a tank.)

Yes, what you are doing can be done by anyone and if they want that expense and upkeep schedule, they should have that same result. But what happens if you miss a week or can not use your additives for some reason? With a natural algae producer/consumer setup, this would not be an issue. ;)

A good case study in the relationship between reefs and algae consumers happened in the FL Keys. A " mysterious" disease caused the massive deaths of long spine and other urchins. The result of the missing urchins was an uncontrolled algal bloom that was covering the inshore corals. ( The algal producer was later linked to the flow of Nitrates from farm runoff into the bay.) I started visiting the Keys in 1966 and that continued when I moved to FL in 1974. Back then rose coral and small bush corals were abundant in the shallow water. My last trip to the keys was back in the late 1990s ( after the dieoff) and in the same areas I used to visit, these corals have all but disappeared in the shallows.

Yes water quality plays a big part in the success or failure of a reef tank but there is more than one way to keep water quality high. We both have shared just 2 of them. (y)

8. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

Added work?? No, I don't believe so. I put a syringe of vodka in the tank in the morning, and once a month I add a half capful of SeaKlear. If you call that work. My tank is very low maintenance. I only test the water maybe once every 3-4 months.

9. Andy Sager

And how long have you had this tank running?

10. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

11 Years. There are no holes you can poke in my upkeep, I've been at this way to long.

11. Andy Sager

I'm not trying to poke holes. I know what it takes to keep a reef tank going as well as a fish only tank so I also know which is more work to maintain. As I said, we just described just 2 ways of keeping a tank. I follow a gentleman on another forum who has a reef tank with sps & lps that has been going over 25 years and he makes no mention of using Vodka or the other chemical you mentioned but he does have a large collection of Tangs on the tank. He doesn't complain about any algae either. Just sayin' ;)

12. Brookster123

Staff Member

Almost a year old!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mbkemp, Nils and Poppa Ryno like this.
  13. Poppa Ryno

Poppa Ryno Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking good B. Thats a nice frogspawn.