African Dwarf Frogs

Discussion in 'Oddballs' started by Aquaphobia, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Active Member

I just got some. Not entirely on purpose I might add! I bought the 10 gallon tank because I felt sorry for the 2 BN Plecos that were living in it but it came with 4 ADFs as well. I've never had these before and was a bit nervous but figured if they could survive in a 10g with 2 Plecos that the owner was changing all the filter cartridges on every month then they can't be that delicate!

Anyway, I put them in a 20 long that is basically sand, driftwood, and a whole lotta java moss. They hid under some oak leaves (it's a natural tank with heavy filtration) but came out this morning and ate some bloodworms which I shot into the Java Moss where they could clamber after it and feed without competition. They look ok. They came with ZooMed Frog And Tadpole food. It's not the same as fish food as I expected. It's significantly higher in protein and fat for starters!

They've gone back into hiding. Their current tankmates are a betta, 5 panda cories, 4 Sterbai cories (because I haven't been able to catch the little darlings yet and put them with the rest of their shoal in the bigger tank), a few kuhli loaches, neon tetras, neocaridina shrimp, and snails. It's kind of my catch-all tank for things I don't know what to do with!

I'm hoping somebody here knows a lot more about them than I do and can judge my setup and how I'm looking after them so far! @junebug maybe?

Mbkemp likes this.
  2. Mbkemp

Mbkemp Well-Known Member

I don’t know a thing about them. Good luck in this journey. I’m following to learn

Aquaphobia likes this.
  3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Active Member

I tried searching for information briefly on this forum and found a post from last summer by @GreenGo asking the same questions but nobody ever replied.

I think my tank is much better for them because of the shallower depth and the mess of plants etc, however that makes it very easy for them to hide! They have to come up for air or food eventually but between times I'm in a panic looking for their little bodies:unsure:

4. GreenGo

GreenGo Well-Known Member

Definitely doing a lot better than me. It sounds like you're doing it right; just keep an eye on them and they should be fine in your setup.

My recommendation from keeping crabs in like manner (frantically searching yet not wanting to disturb them too much): Look for them when they eat. If they don't show up for 2 days then be concerned and look for them. In your tank you may not find bodies (lots of scavengers that would eat the carcass of such a frog), but you'll know something happened to one or two of them if you don't find them.

Best I can do for you.

Aquaphobia and Mbkemp like this.
  5. nkoyko

nkoyko Well-Known Member
    PRA All Star

@Aquaphobia I've had a few ADF. They are great wet pets. My most recent passed about a month ago now. They like calm tanks. Naturally ADF have poor eyesight so it is hard for them to compete with food with fish. Just make sure they are eating. Many ADF in community tanks can fail because they don't get food. My ADF lived with a vicious female betta and 2 nerites. I hand feed him bloodworms a few times a week. I did buy those pellets and oddly they have the same content as a type of betta food that I used to feed the bettas.

Oh and they do like to just lounge around. Mine would just chill in my java moss or behind the moss covered lot and would come out when he heard the tank lid open.

Aquaphobia, GreenGo and Mbkemp like this.
  6. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Active Member

I'm watching one of the frogs swimming around right now so I know at least one is ok! Had a heater problem, still not sure what happened, but the temperature dropped and my kuhlis died! Oddly, the other fish seem unfazed and some are the warmer water fish I still haven't removed.