40 breeder marine setup

Discussion in 'Members Tanks' started by LadyMac, Oct 28, 2017.

1. LadyMac

LadyMac Well-Known Member
    PRA All Star

thought I would start a new thread since the hex is no longer my marine setup. I switched with the pallinfinas, thinking it would be better to light this one and since I may get the pallifinas gone one day I may as well move them to the temporary tank and fix this one. I plan to build a sump, and figured it’ll either help or hurt it. Tank inhabitants are lacking; the clowns and demoisale and then two snails and two hermit crabs. I need a clean up crew but as Tmrc and Miss Tmrc know, the lfs is very lackin in such critters. They just got peppermint shrimp in recently. I am having a hair algae problem and I believe it’s due to the lack of RODI water. I’m using Distilled from Walmart and it’s just not doing it. Tap would possibly be better lol. Anyhow here is a a photo from earlier. I had to move some sand and tried to scrub my rock off so it’s cloudy again. I did pick up a pound of live rock and I think whenever I get the cash I’ll go get some more. It’s going to be slow haha! Also this was after the first light turned off not that it matters. The other isn’t the right spectrum it just makes it brighter lol. If I could get some commissions paid I will be getting a black box. Would probably need two....
    2CA1EEC4-65BB-48C5-B654-B79B4DFFB961.jpeg

2. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Here is an updated shot. I’m looking into a phosphate reactor. I have diatoms which I feel are from moving over from the hex to the breeder.

Also, link decided to take a dip in the ocean. His stamina went away before he was able to reach his ship so he sunk and is now shark food. (He didn’t stay long, as I don’t know if the paint is salt safe. He fell from the pirate ship above) I think he was searching for treasure.

Anyone have any good ways to make a phosphate reactor? I have an egg tumbler and was wondering if that could work for the time being. I would just have to find some phosban.
    815B4529-8C82-4E5C-8993-A41C56C21B47.jpeg BDF91191-270A-4D3C-94D9-F09A69D11014.jpeg
    FBA781BD-9F81-4FB6-A1BD-BCF4C46027B8.jpeg

3. Tmrc exotics

Tmrc exotics Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, the fish are like check out our new tankmate! I've ran one of the phosphate products in a hob, think it was phosgaurd. We keep it and purigen in a hob filter.

4. Miss TMRC

Miss TMRC Well-Known Member

Clowns are funny little fish lol. We are in need of a phosphate reactor as well. I have been pricing some on amazon. One might show up on my Christmas list this year :rolleyes:

5. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Todays update. Still not very pretty. Also wondering why my clowns wont sex out. Both are still the same size, and I have had them six months at least. I was told they should have shown significant growth ( Or one should have, since it would be the female) I have one who actively shakes to the other showing his belly so I am positive the other is going girlie on me but shes just not growing.
    Reeeeeeef.er.jpg

6. Stella1979

Stella1979 Well-Known Member

Sorry, no ideas on how to make a reactor.
    Oh my goodness... I am so glad I found your salty thread @LadyMac ! :) This post just made my day.:love: I am known as MeLinkssa in some other circles. Do you play?

I also saw you talking about chaeto and nuisance algae in the chat, but was a little late in checking in and saw something about the site going down? Anyway, I wanted to share my experience with chaeto. My first batch was thick and wiry, didn't grow well, and brought aiptasia to my tank.:rolleyes: Also, I needed to manually rotate it everyday for lighting, but it was so brittle that even gentle handling would cause breakage, and little pieces of chaeto would make it through to my display.(n) I tossed the stuff and soon after found another source. The new stuff is thin, more hair like and doesn't break from handling. More importantly, it grows fast and is doing a better job at controlling nitrates and nuisance algae. There is literally zero hair algae in my tank after the addition of the new chaeto. :)

Also, what's the 'hard to get rid of' algae that you're dealing with? I've got something like that myself. It almost looks like bryopsis:cautious:, but not really. I'm unsure what it is, but the addition of a faster growing chaeto has at least slowed it's growth. I've considered an emerald crab as they are known to eat bryopsis, but they're also a little scary to have around corals.

7. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Thanks for the reply! Yes I totally play! Love my video games :D

I currently have found someone willing to trade chaeto for art! So that’s a plus lol. I cold really use some. The stuff that I do have which is now only quarter size is thick and airy as you describe. Maybe this will be much much better.

My nuisance algae is hair. I can’t seem to get it gone. And diatoms which kills me cause the tank is pretty mature. I’m getting an RODI unit hopefully for my birthday so maybe that will help. I have another type which is super thick and very green. Also seems like hair algae but this is smaller tufts and harder to pull.

I lost my anemone today, even though my water tests good. I’m using API and have read it’s not that accurate so idk if maybe it’s reading wrong. My salinity is slightly low, 1.023; and my magnesium is 1240. I am building a sump and hope it helps. My tank is called the ugly tank right now lol.

GreenGo, NightShade and discusbreeder like this.
  8. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Been some time since I’ve updated, so guess I need to right?

I finally got my sump up and going. However I’ve left the skimmer in tank for now. I may move it but considering the condition of said sump, it’s fine.

For my birthday, I was able to squire an RO buddie. While many say it’s not worth the cost cause the filter cartridges, at 70 bucks for the 4 stage, it was within price range and considering my tank is small it should do well.

I’ve had die offs with my snails and no idea why. I’ve tested all the parameters that I could ( nonphosphate test still) params are quite stead at:

Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-0
    Ph-8.2
    Sg-1.025
    Kh-9
    Mg -1240
    Cal-400
    Temp- 79

I have had some clouding issues, thought possible bacterial bloom. It came on when I switched from purified drinking water to distilled, and now that I’m on RODI it seems to be getting quite a bit better. The HOB overflow has helped some as well, so a huge shoutout to @Poppa Ryno for hooking me up with that.

For now, the return pump from the sump to the tank is an extra Eheim 2222 canister filter. My tank is the trailer trash of tanks haha!

So without further ado, here are some photos of the setup, from cloudy, to today, and of the sump.

https://i.imgur.com/rCrQv5R.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/PoYjy5V.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/QLgBPT2.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6JQaprN.jpg

9. NightShade

NightShade Well-Known Member

Glad the RODI switch seems to be helping!! I know we've talked in chat about this tank, and I am rooting for ya! :) I absolutely LOVE the hardsacpe! It looks fantastic Mi Lady :D

Looks less cloudy doesn't it? I think the blackout has helped. Yay!!

I can't wait to see it progress along from here!!!

GreenGo likes this.
  10. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Thanks :) I love the rocks. They are quite large and heavy. I do plan to move all those over to a waterbox if I am ever lucky enough to get it. As much as I would like the 150 I would be happy with the 40. Would be a cube! My light would look better over it, until I could upgrade. I want to purchase a current USA loop system. It’s quite nice.

11. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Salterator
    Staff Member

Why in the hell would you spend so much on an LED unit thats not worth that cost??

12. LadyMac

PRA All Star

I’ve heard the new ones were amazing. I really like the look and the way to have it all hooked up with the powerheads too.

13. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

I use these things called timers, from Lowes or Home Depot to control the lights.
    And use WP Powerheads that utilize a light sensor for night time use.
    All for a fraction of what your going to pay for that thing.
    But, I don't have the $$$ to toss at something the likes of that thing, so if you got the money for that stuff, hell yea go for it.

GreenGo and LadyMac like this.
  14. Andy Sager

Andy Sager Well-Known Member

Ocellaris clownfish don't become sexually mature until they are almost 2 years old or older ( for females)so you only having them 6 - 8 months may not mean they are sexually mature yet. I'd give it at least another year before getting concerned. (y)

15. Reefing Madness

Staff Member

Your going to run into trouble using a canister filter for a return. As it starts to catch debre it will slow the flow down, and your flow goes down instead of being continuous. Your not going to overflow anything because your using a HOB Overflow, but you may run into syphon issues if it keeps waiting on water to fill.
    Return pumps should be stand alone pumps, utilizing almost the same return as the overflow #s. Using one that diminishes flow over time may cause problems.

16. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Yeah the pump is on the list. I had to have something since the other one does on me. It works in a pinch. Definitely not the ideal solution or the permanent one either. Just another of those things I guess.

GreenGo and Reefing Madness like this.
  17. LadyMac

PRA All Star

Today’s update.

Sump is running well. Took the canister apart the other day to wipe it down. Rinsed with RODI water. Gotta keep this thing from becoming a nitrate factory. Still anslight cloud but I guess that’s going to be the normal thing with this tank. Pulled some brown stringy algae off the back wall and off the powerhead. Also pulled one of the rocks a few days back, scrubbed and peroxided the whole thing, then soaked in RODI water. Added back last night. I know this killed off half the filtration but considering it’s got two fish a handful of crabs and one snail, it should be ok. Will give it two weeks and do the other. Hopefully I can get a handle on this crap.

Obligatory FTS.

[​IMG]

Nils, Miss TMRC and GreenGo like this.
  18. Miss TMRC

Where did you find the RODI water around here Bev? I need some bad

19. LadyMac

PRA All Star

I broke down and bought an RO buddie. It was about $73.00 shipped through amazon. It works great. eBay has a couple for under a hundred too now.

Miss TMRC likes this.
  20. Miss TMRC

Nice score!(y)

LadyMac likes this.